chapter twenty-three

☆

☆.。.:* A late birthday .。.:*☆

Hermione couldn't get the incident off her mind. As she and Blaise strode past various locked rooms, opened windows- revealing the marvelous night sky and silent hallways. It was rather difficult to not think. The passing silence between them, however, didn't aid her situation. She wanted nothing more than to forget the coiling feeling in her stomach, dreading what it could mean. Hermione didn't know whether she wanted to talk and push those thoughts aside, or if starting a conversation would lead to them talking about it. It was surely a compromising position that they've been caught in. Her and Malfoy. Hermione shuddered thinking back to what had occurred mere minutes ago, feeling like a lifetime.

She didn't know what irritated her more, Blaise's unruly stares or the way his mouth opened as if he were about to speak but then snap close, reminding Hermione of a fish. He was about to do so again when Hermione snapped up at him.

"Blaise!" Hermione said in disbelief, "Just say it,"

Blaise Zabini halted his steps, looking over Hermione in awareness as he considered his words carefully.

"What...what the fucking hell?"

Hermione didn't know whether she wanted to sink into a puddle from absolute embarrassment- or slap Blaise in the face for such an idiotic response. Keeping her temper in check, she took a deep breath, what she hadn't expected was a small giggle escaping her lips. Hermione looked at Blaise, his eyes had widened to the size of saucers, gaping at her. The sight emitted another giggle from Hermione, turning into a hysterical fit of laughter. Blaise looked at Hermione as if she'd grown three heads.

Doubling over, Hermione took hold of a small table beside her, needing to steady herself.

"Hermione!" Blaise whined a look of shock mixed with delight and a tad of chagrin seized his sharpened features. His rich umber skin glowed underneath the sconce light and his caramel eyes looked more golden than brown.

Hermione took sharp intakes of breaths before finally settling.

"After all that, that was what you chose to say?" Hermione stated, lips curling into a grin. At least his words had taken her mind off Draco.

Blaise scoffed lightly, "What would you have had me say?" He inquired as he helped steady Hermione, gripping her arms whilst they continued their walk.

"Oh, I don't know, maybe...How've you been, I haven't seen you in a while?" Hermione shrugged.

Blaise rolled his eyes in response, murmuring something to himself.

"Hmm?" She teased, Blaise's head snapped up as he poked his tongue out at her.

Hermione chuckled hastily, amused at the sight.

"Real mature Blaise,"

In the little time she'd been presented with at the manor, she'd managed to spend most of it with Blaise. It had been unusual- to consider him family when he was closer to a stranger. However, it didn't take long for them to be more acquainted, partly due to Blaise always accompanying her everywhere, and when Blaise was away- Theodore usually took up his position.