Chapter 30 - Legend Of Carter Jones

"Alright rookies, it's time for you to get your rank. We'll be doing a free-for-all battle to the death!"

Everyone is shocked and murmuring to each other.

"Don't worry... Everyone who dies will be regenerated by our first use of our new invention... The regeneration field!"

The rookies all get set up and transported into the very first dome arena. Everyone is fascinated by the advanced technology and the ability to make a whole scene turn into reality. Little does the General know, two engineers seem to be struggling with getting the regeneration field to work optimally.

"It's not working!"

"Here let me see, idiot."

"No don't screw that in. The fuze doesn't-"
*Pop... Pop... Boom!*
"-go there."

"You two! What's going on here?"

"Uh... N-Nothing, sir!"

"We w-were just, erm, making sure everything was working up to standards."

One of them kicks the box, with all of the wires, switches, and electricity inside, closed.

"Don't tamper with it any further. We know it works and we don't need to fuck with anything during a live procedure. Get back to work elsewhere!"

"Yes, sir!"

The two engineers say in sync and run off, not to work, but to get as far away as possible.

The exams begin and everyone starts fighting. So far, this seemed to be the most promising group the General has ever seen. One rookie seemed to excel even within this bunch.

"Who is this one?"

"Oh... He is one of mine, sir. Carter Jones, codename M37707. He is my top student by far and I would even say he is worth being placed with high rankings right away."

"Hmm... Let's keep an eye on him."

Carter Jones continued to shoot down fellow soldiers, left and right, until finally, it got down to the last six.

"Hey! Get a look at her! Who is she?"

"That sir is N471224. Alice Truman is her name. She is also extremely talented. However, I have had a lot of issues communicating and working with her."

"So a hothead who thinks she's all that, huh?"

"Actually... No, not really."

"Then?"

"She is very religious and we break a lot of her beliefs. She doesn't sleep much and when she is at her quarters, she's praying for forgiveness most the night. I've paired her with M37707. It took a week before that to find her a partner. Everyone couldn't stand it till they partnered. He doesn't seem to mind."

"It shouldn't matter what they think. I've told you plenty of times before, ignore the complaints. The soldiers are stuck with what they got and they have to learn to work with it... Whatever, it's already over and done with... I actually like the two together. How is she doing?"

"She's in second place... She's fighting four guys alone right now I believe."

She dodges bullets and creates a golden, transparent, magical shield around her. Quickly, she eliminates the four. Now everyone watches in suspense as the two hunts each other down...

"General, sir! We must shut the arena down, now!"

"What is the meaning of this?!"

"Sir, they're all being killed down there! The regeneration field is not working right; they aren't regenerating!"