Chapter 45 - Surrealism

Steel Guards surround me through the panic of the audience. Two grab me and fly me in toward the dome. I freeze in shock as they throw me next to the General.

"Here he is, soldiers... Our new Champion!"

General swings my arm up along with his. I-I can't believe this is happening!

.......

After the show was over and everyone went their way, we Warriors returned to our barracks for the night. However, it seems as though nobody can get any sleep. Everyone besides Marcus, Kingston, Lizzie, and Pico, have made their way into the living-room watching the news.

"In recent news, if you weren't at the most recent event of ranking of the new Champion, lots of twists and turns this year, but none of them compare to how the General picked one from the entire crowd to be our new Champion. Not to mention, all of this happened right after the Warriors just competed their hearts out for this. In other news-"

"I can't fucking believe that shit."

"What, Vadice?"

"Riveck, is that a serious question? Nathaniel was told not to compete and yet General ended up picking him!"

"Yeah... but we have to trust the General. The number of times he's helped us and bent backward for us. He has always been right with his odd decisions. He's on a whole new level than anyone here"

"Rosalin, he stole Pico's rank. None of y'all realize how hard he's worked for that!"

"We all worked our ass off for it."

"Zander? What the hell, man?"

"Vadice, I have underestimated Nathaniel, one too many times. That last time made me realize that he... well, he's a damn prophecy. General had a reason to not put him out there just as much of a reason as to why he was gonna pick him from the start."

"Huh?"

Pamela steps in...

"Yes, I hadn't quite got it until now. Zander, I have gotta say, I am impressed."

"What is it then?!"

"Well, Vadice, he knew from the start who he was promoting to Champion. We all know Nathaniel and we all know we would've kicked his ass out there. General sees something in Nathaniel and, quite frankly, he probably sees Nathaniel being a huge part of this war. He couldn't have the people doubt that so he didn't send him out there. But also, he needed everyone to see how great of soldiers you all are. This is the hope, the fight we needed everyone to see in us. People were doubting us as even earning the Warrior rank."

"So what? Why does it matter that Nathaniel is Champion? It's not like it's important to him! Champions still follow orders and still work the same as any Warrior. So why did it have to be him?"

We all sit in silence. Vadice has a point that nobody can answer.

"What do we know? None of us have been a Champion before. Sure, we have known Champions. But, we have no idea what it's like to be one. So if Warrior is the best I get... then I'm all cool with that. The best squad in America. It's pretty nice to know I made it there."

"Zander, you've changed, man. I can't believe you'd be on Nathaniel's side after all he's done to you."

Vadice storms off. Rosalin tells everyone goodnight before she leaves.