7. Echoes

Fay knew it was just a dream, but it felt too real. She could not see anything, but his voice echoed everywhere.

"Fay." 

It was merely a weak whisper, but she could hear it loud and clear. 

"Seth!" she yelled and tried to navigate in the darkness to find where the voice was coming from. No matter how she tried, there was nothing but darkness and his tired whispers echoing in that strange place of unconsciousness.   

She woke up gasping for air and holding her chest. She felt intense pressure in the left-center of her chest. Before she could do or say anything, Qiana was by her side. She had stayed with Fay that night because Low needed to rest too.

"What's wrong?" she asked sitting on the edge of Fay's bed. 

"My chest..." Fay moaned unable to say anything more. Qiana's eyes widened. 

She picked up Fay into her arms. Effortlessly she carried her friend out of the room and downstairs. "Get the car!" she yelled at Serafina, who with a worried look rushed to them. Serafina nodded and grabbed the keys from a bowl on a side table. Together they hurried outside and placed Fay inside a black SUV's back seat. Qiana sat next to her. 

"Drive fast," she told Serafina who started the car. Serafina nodded. 

"What's wrong with her?" she asked turning left from the driveway. 

"Looks like a heart attack," Qiana said. She placed her fingers on Fay's neck to feel her pulse. "Faster, Serafina!"

*********************************************************************************************

Evelyn stormed into the study. Lucky for him, Shawn was there alone. 

"It's your fault," she spat out. 

She could see the anger flicker in his eyes. Once again she was not "respecting her Alpha". 

But this time he was able to control himself. Instead of lashing out, he crossed his arms on his chest and lifted his eyebrows. 

"What is my fault?" he asked.

"Fay! she shouted. "She had a heart attack because of your stupid decision to keep her in the dark."

Shawn sighed. 

"If she dies, it's your fault!"

"Evelyn. She's not going to die."

"They did the ECG and it-"

"And then they did the angiogram. I just talked to Dr. Jacobs. There was no sign of a real heart attack."

"What?" Evelyn breathed out. 

"It was a Takotsubo cardiomyopathy - A Broken Heart Syndrome."

Evelyn frowned. She found it hard to believe Fay was not in danger. She had seen her attached to monitors. And Qiana hadn't been able to hide her worry no matter how she had tried to mask it with professionalism. 

"A Broken Heart Syndrome?" she said with doubt.

"Apparently it's a real thing," Shawn said. "Ev, she's not going to die."

"It's still a shitty thing to do this to her! She deserves to know."

"She will when it's safe," Shawn said. "Come here. I need to show you something."

Evelyn hesitated. She was still upset with him and didn't feel like being close to him. Shawn waited in silence. 

"Fine," she shrugged and stomped to him. He turned the laptop so she could have a better angle to the screen. 

"Henry Trinh sent me his conditions," Shawn said. "Go ahead and read them."

Shawn gave his seat to Evelyn. She pulled herself closer to the desk and started to read the email. 

Dear acting Alpha 

I am pleased to inform you, the true Alpha of your pack is in stable condition. My very capable medical personnel is taking care of him. At present, he is in no danger and I hope to keep it that way. 

I imagine you are anxious to get your brother back, so I will not bother you with more pleasantries. I am willing to release your brother on 2 conditions. 

One. I do not want to handle this with a male werewolf. From now on I will only be in contact with a female wolf. Naturally, that female must be a high-ranking wolf. I reckon you won't let your mate have anything to do with this, so your sister will do.

Two. I will negotiate with her in person. And only in person.

I expect to hear from her soon.

Sincerely,

Henry Trinh

"Why does he want Shay to be in this?" Evelyn asked. 

"I don't know," Shawn said. "Maybe for safety reasons. Or to get another Cage."

"Does she know yet?"

Shawn shook his head. 

"I want to figure out his motives before telling her. I have talked to her mate about it."

"You've talked to Oliver? Why? Didn't Seth make him leave Shay alone?"

"He has stayed away, but he's still her mate. And he is half raven, so I thought he might know what Henry Trinh is up to."

"Well, does he know?" Evelyn asked. She didn't particularly like the teen boy, who was teasing and playing with Serafina.

"The kid made it clear he will not let her go there. Not alone nor with an army."

"Huh... Why is he being protective all of a sudden? He's not letting his wolf side out so he's not feeling the mate pull, so why does he care?"

"I sensed jealousy in him."

"Jealousy?"

"He claims not to know anything, but Henry Trinh wanting Serafina there, sparks jealousy in him. So either he does know something or his raven powers are telling him something."

"Ok. What are you going to do now? Henry Trinh is expecting Shay to reply."

"I was actually hoping you could tell me what to do," Shawn gave her a tired smile.

"Talk to your sister."