22. Railing

Overwhelmed with what she had just seen, Serafina turned her back on Henry. She wasn't afraid of heights. Thank goodness, because there was only a low railing. She had to admit, the view was quite majestic. 

Serafina could feel Henry behind her. If he was any other creature, she could've sensed him, but now it was just intuition. 

"You don't have a scent," she said, keeping her eyes on the rooftops. 

"I don't?" there was genuine curiosity in Henry's voice. "I did not know that."

Serafina hated how million other scents surrounded her and yet his missing one was all she could think about. It was even worse than submitting to an alpha.

Henry walked next to her and put his hands on the railing. They stood side by side.

"Your brother is being prepped so he can be moved back to your pack's land," Henry spoke with a low voice. He knew Serafina, with her wolf abilities, could hear him.

"Just like that," Serafina mumbled in disbelief. "Why?"

"Why not? I have no need for him."

"Why did you take him in the first place then?"

Henry turned to face her and was now leaning his side against the railing. Serafina gave him a quick glance and saw the familiar empty look in his eyes.

"I did not take him. I was informed that my mother had been killed by a wolf - your mother - and a male wolf had been shot during the incident. When I came here, I realized it was an Alpha. And not just any alpha. Seth Cage. I am a businessman, Serafina. When I have something valuable in my hands, I use it to my advantage- to get what I want."

"You just said, you have no need for Seth," Serafina frowned.

Henry nodded. He searched for appropriate words before speaking again.

"That's right. But he is valuable to you. "

"What?" Serafina whispered suddenly overwhelmed by his words. There seemed to something behind them. Something that made her restless. "What are you saying?" 

"I'm saying Seth Cage would already be dead without you."

"Without me?" she felt unwanted shivers through her body. What scared her was, Henry Trinh was not manipulating her mind and still, he affected her - like a forbidden fruit.

Henry pushed himself away from the railing and he stepped in front of Serafina. He made sure not to block her if she wanted to escape his close proximity. He saw turmoil in her eyes. He fought the idea to dive into her mind. After their encounter at the cabin, he had decided never to do that again to her. What he wanted, he wanted to achieve without manipulation. It felt more pure and sacred that way. 

Serafina remained in her spot. She couldn't move even if she wanted to. 

"You, my dear, are quite a creature." He spoke with a velvety voice. "You have sparked something in me. Something that should not be possible. So, my declaration surely doesn't surprise you."

 "Your declaration?" She couldn't help but marvel his alluring voice and demeanor. How could someone so emotionless and distant be so inviting?

"Yes. I want you as mine."

Serafina forgot to breathe. She felt the railing against her back.

"What?" she was able to utter. 

Henry just stared at her. The darkness in his eyes woke her up.

"Is that your condition? For freeing Seth," she asked feeling her own heartbeat. 

"My condition? Uh! No, no...," Henry said and took a step back. He started to walk back and forth. 

He's nervous! Serafina thought and let out a shaky laughter. Her laughter made him turn his face to her and she saw a smile so wide that it chased away the dark emptiness. Before she realized, he stood before her and had cupped her face. 

"That would've been my condition before I met you - before you did something to me. The way you looked at me at the cabin changed everything. I could've kept manipulating your mind and keep you feeling as I was your mate. But I didn't..." Henry was breathing heavily and had to inhale deeply before he was able to continue. "I don't want something unreal and forced. I want reality. So, no. It's not my condition."

"Wh- what is your condition then?" Serafina whispered. He was so close, that she could feel his breath on her skin. 

"You will let my scientist study you."

"Why?" Serafina frowned. 

"Because I want to understand what you are and what you are capable of."

No. No. No! Serafina pushed Henry's hands away. 

"And then what? Huh? You want more than just information!"

"Yes. But I will not force you to do anything. If you decide to do what I ask, there will be significant compensation."

"What if I say no?"

"I will keep your brother here. He's nowhere near as interesting as you, but I guess my scientist can get something out of him. And... I will do nothing with Finnigan - no... I will help him. Just like my mother had planned on doing."

"Well, aren't you gentleman," Serafina hissed. "You just declared your... something to me and a second later you are nothing but a calculative piece of sh-"

"If you say yes, there will be a helicopter here in ten minutes. It will fly your brother back home. Your pack will also have help with Finnigan. Hell, I will take care of him myself. As I told you, I am a businessman. I do business, not charity. So Miss Cage, what is your answer?"

***********************************************************************************************

Oooh! I just love writing Henry!

What do you think Serafina should do?

Thank you for reading, voting and commenting!!!

M