Epilogue 5: Why the wolf was killed

Warning! There will be strong language in this chapter. And brutality.

*********************************************************************************************

Evelyn Hales sat in an almost empty bus. She was glad there was no one next to her. Having people close, especially touching her, Made Evelyn restless. 

But she wasn't completely alone. A motorcycle drove right behind the bus.

Knowing he was there made a small smile appear on her lips.

A couple of hours ago she had tapped Shawn's shoulders and he had stopped at the side of the road.  Hours on the motorcycle had made her tired. Lucky for her they were on a bus route.

Evelyn rested her head against the window and let her eyes close.

She was tired. Not only because of the motorcycle but because they were on their way to meet the only person alive whose genes she shared. They had planned this trip for months. Finally, after eleven, she had to admit there was no way of avoiding it.  She needed to know.

Those eleven months she and Shawn had been on the road. Shawn had gone back to tracking. She had gladly traveled the country. Turned out the wolf in her was a nomad. That yearning to roam the lands had made the teenaged Evelyn a vagabond.

With her head against the cold window, Evelyn wondered why she had that strange yearning in her. As far as she knew, Finnigans weren't nomads. Otherwise, why would her grandfather intentionally taken the alpha position and kept it with fear and discipline? By choosing to be a false alpha, he had shackled himself to a piece of land. There was no freedom in that. The kind of freedom that fulfilled the nomad soul.

Her nomad soul would've gladly stayed on the bus, but the bus stopped. She needed to get off. With a sigh, she stepped out. Shawn parked the motorcycle. He took the helmet off. Evelyn looked as he comped his hair with his fingers. Her ridiculously handsome and broody rebel. As he put the helmet away and gave her a quick smile, Evelyn couldn't help but be thankful that he was her mate. The more she got to know him the more she knew there was a reason why he was for her.

Shawn was a mess. Far from perfect. A total opposite to his perfectly proper big brother.

But that made him perfect for her. With him, she could be her true imperfect self. Someone who had no idea who she was and what she wanted. She didn't need to pretend to be anything. If she did, Shawn saw her. And she was enough.

Together they were a perfect couple of imperfect lost causes.

They fought. A lot.

They were childish. Inconsiderate. Selfish.

And always she could see his eyes telling her, give it all to me.

"Ready?" Shawn asked and offered her his hand.

"No," she sighed. How could she ever be ready to meet someone who had killed her father and mother? And had wanted to kill her. Her own grandfather!

"Well... I can always go there alone and break his neck," Shawn said.

Evelyn didn't bother to respond. Her mind was already planning her first words to her grandfather. She heard Shawn's chuckling at her absent mind and sighed.

"Ok, ok. Let's go."

It was only a few minutes walk to the nursing home. The building looked more like an 80's spa resort than a place where the elderly people spent their last years. A neat row of palm trees and extremely green lawn welcomed them, as they walked through the open black iron gate.