Lights Up

What do you mean?
I'm sorry by the way
Never coming around
Be so sweet if things just stayed the same

Eden huffed as she entered her home. There was laughter as she placed her purse down on the small table in the foyer and rummaged for her car keys to place them on the hook.

The stray family members strewn about her house served to make her smile. Which was a relief after the day she had.

She had always thought about the possibility of running into Alex again. She figured it would have been closer to when they broke up, but better late than never she supposed.

She tries not to think of the look on Alex's face when she spotted her. The look Eden was sure to be giving back to her. It had been three years for christ sake. She didn't need to deal with this.

Naomi, her younger sister, came over to greet her as she walked in. Her daughter waddled behind her. Naomi and her husband, Mathias, were the last of the family to leave after the christmas and new year celebration. Her other 3 siblings and their family back in their own homes already.

Naomi was always just slow.

"Aunty E!" The three year old reached up towards her Aunt excitedly.

"Hello, my little chocolate drop! Were you good for your mommy and daddy while I was gone?"

"Yeah! I took a bath." Madison laid her head down on Eden's chest, seeming to get tired in the middle of her sentence. It was probably a result of the bath, those normally put her out like a light.

Eden cooed at the girl as she followed her sister into her kitchen. She set about rummaging through the cupboards as Naomi stared at her.

"Have you seen the Lucky Charms?" Eden asked quietly, as not to wake the sleeping child on her shoulder.

Naomi pointed to the spot next to her. She had looked right at the box about three seconds before. Naomi looked like she wanted to say something but kept it to herself for the time being.

"I thought you were on a diet." Naomi said with a raised eyebrow. She grabbed her daughter away from her sister so she had free use of her arms.

"I am." Eden said casually, she continued to prepare her dinner, she looked at the clock, "but when you have a metabolism as good as mine, and a personal trainer that cost about as much as a used car, you can afford to cheat sometimes." Eden smirked cheekily.

Naomi rolled her eyes. Something was off. She could sense it. It was like some kind of disturbance in the sisterly bond that they shared. Their youngest sister, Sarai, could probably feel it too and would be calling soon.

She sighed as Eden missed her mouth for the third time, instead her lucky charms ending up splattering back into the bowl.

"What's wrong?" Naomi questioned. Her eyes narrowed at her older sister. Mentally daring her to lie.

"Nothing." Eden frowned. Whatever Naomi thought she knew, she very much did not.

"Don't lie to me. I'll call mom. Something is wrong. You look like you saw a ghost and don't want to yell anybody because they'll think you're crazy."

Eden briefly thinks of the benefits of lying to her sister. Affer much deliberation she decides the cons outdo the pros and she really is scared of her mom.

"I saw...Alex today." Eden takes a deep breath. Today held a record for how many times she had said the woman's name in years.

Naomi's eyes widen and she immediately feels a bit bad for asking, but Eden was going to end up letting that eat away at her.