Never Really Over

Just because it's over doesn't mean it's really over

And if I think it over, maybe you'll be comin' over again
And I'll have to get over you all over again

Eden frowned at the knock on her door. It was 9 in the morning and unless one of her siblings forgot they had a key, she wasn't expecting anybody.

Times like this she wishes she had a peep hole. Though, when Esau insisted she get one, she claimed if there was a murderer at the door she'd want to be surprised, not to see her death coming.

She opened the door with a flourish. Her enthusiasm diminishes quickly when the recognition kicks in.

"What are you doing here?"

Alex sighed as she picked herself up off the doorframe she'd been leaning on precariously. The breeze picks up and takes a few strands of hair with it.

"Would you believe me if I said I wasn't sure?"

"Yes." Eden says simply. She knows Alex. It was a lot of do now, ask questions later with her. She often found herself in situations she wouldn't have been in if she wasn't so damn impulsive. Though, that very trait could be a factor to why they got together in the first place.

Alex flicks her eyes past Eden pointedly. Eden lets out a sigh before stepping to the side. Alex walks into the house with a relieved expression on her face.

She looks around for a second before speaking, "You haven't changed anything." It slips out as just an observation, and it is just that, but she'd be lying if it didn't fill her with some kind of slim, foolish hope.

"Nothing needed changing." Eden crossed her arms. If she was a bit more cynical she'd wonder if Naomi set this up. But sometimes things were just too coincidental. This was all
too weird to attribute to her.

"Even that atrocious vase."

"I only kept it there because you hated it. Now, I barely think about it. It's just there. Like, a lot of things in this house."

Alex just nods as she continues to browse. She knows she's wearing her welcome thin, but this is what Ashlyn told her to do. She needed to establish a connection. Get Eden used to the idea of being in close proximity again.

Of course, Ashlyn probably wasn't thinking show up to her house unannounced. She was more than likely thinking "accidentally" bump into while she's exiting Starbucks or something. She should know by now, Alex only does the absolute most.

"What do you want, Alex?" Eden sounds tired. It causes the forward to look up from her perusing. She crosses the distance, slowly coming to a stop in front of Eden.

"How are you? I mean, really. How are you?" Her eyes swim with concern and suddenly Eden feels like she's slipping under with no lifejacket to assist her. So, she takes a step back.

"I'm getting there." Eden doesn't sound so sure of herself. Her left arm is crossed over chest and rubbing her right. It's another one of those nervous ticks.

She knows how this looks. She knows how this sounds. And it even may be true but that doesn't take away from the fact that she's absolutely terrified of Alex Morgan. Not physically. She's sure she could kick the girl's ass if she needed to.

But figuratively, Alex had been absolutely reckless with her heart, and it's been three years but the sutures still haven't healed yet. Besides, don't previously broken bones break easier?

She's surprised she didn't collapse into a heap upon opening the door.

Alex takes another step forward, "I'm sorry. I don't think I ever told you that. I'm so fucking sorry. I never wanted to lose you."