Haunted

It's what you do
It's what you see
I know if I'm haunting you, you must be haunting me

It's the principle of the thing. Just because she had gotten used to the feeling of waking up in a large unnecessarily expensive bed alone, didn't mean she liked it.

In Alex's defense, she had left her a note saying that she had stepped out for a moment to grab food and would be back within the hour. But again it was the principle.

She had fell alseep with Alex next to her and she would have liked to wake up with Alex next to her. She's not sure what she expected.

It had left her feeling a bit cheap.

The reason she was in the mess was fifty percent her fault, sure, but Alex always had this thing about her that Eden could seldom resist. She was often sucked in and drowned within seconds of Alex opening her mouth and last night was no exception.

It was a mistake, sleeping with Alex, but she doesn't regret it and maybe that's where her problem stems.

She'll never be able to get back to where she was with Alex. She's not even sure she wants to, but wouldn't it be nice?

Eden has come to terms with the fact that she is quite literally a living paradox. A contradiction on legs, but that's what loving Alex Morgan feels like.

The front door opens and closes with the sounds of shuffling and mumbling following.

While coming to terms with the absolute clusterfuck that her feelings are, she's also been resigned to the fact that none of this will ever be easy and she might as well face it head on like she does most things in life.

So, she grabs a haphazardly placed robe and pads down the steps. Offhandedly, she wonders why the fuck she keeps it so cold in her house.

"You left me."

Alex looks up from where she's spreading her purchases on the kitchen table. She looks like she wants to say something, but she has the better sense to keep it to herself.

"I left a note." There's a tension that's practically choking the two of them. Eden suddenly wonders if Alex really only left to get food.

"Yeah, and I only saw it after my breif panic attack." Alex smiles apologetically. She gestures to Eden's clothing with a raised eyebrow.

"Forget you had a guest?"

"No. Just wanted to see if you could focus for more than three minutes so we could hold an actual conversation."

"Hm. I deserved that." She paused for a second, suddenly remembering she had gotten them breakfast that could go cold any minute. "I got some breakfast sandwiches and donuts."

"I'm on a diet."

"That's never stopped you before."

Eden only shrugs before digging into the food.

"People kill for that type of metabolism."

"You're a professional athlete, Alex. This doesn't concern you."

Silence overtakes them. Eden seems to be fine with it, but Alex is fidgeting. She supposes it's because the forward likes the sound of her own voice.

"Sorry about last night." She keeps her head down, glaring holes in her half eaten egg white sandwich. Eden watches her through her own eyelashes. Her face is neutral as she picks at a twisted glaze donut.

"If I didn't want it to happen, I wouldn't have let it."

Alex lets out a slow breathe. She's still a bit pensive. Eden's eyes trace over her face with scrutiny. She can practically hear Eden roll her eyes a few seconds later.