Chapter 7

7

The wedding was fast approaching, and Evangeline had never been more stressed. She had used every resource that Robin had given to her, stretching the staff thin as they could stretch. They weren't complaining though, it meant double time pay for them, not to mention the day after the wedding everyone would now be granted a paid week off to say thank you while the happy couple left the manor for their honeymoon.

Her dress was set, the flowers had arrived, bridesmaids and groomsmen were all gathered within the manor's guest rooms, her family was housed within as well, and other relatives were teleporting in the day of the ceremony. Robin had proved more helpful then she could have realized he would be, he was always organizing the staff and approving items that Evangeline was too busy to see. It warmed her heart more towards him to see him so engaged, though she knew he was simply distracting himself from everything else happening.

"No news on Raye's testing, more protests erupting in the south against the class systems, and a wedding speeding towards us." Robin said the night before the ceremony as they sat in his room. Evangeline had already moved herself into the room since they were already going to be sharing it soon.

"Robin, stop pacing, you're going to drive yourself crazy." Evangeline said, stirring her ginger and peach tea. "You can't do anything about the protests right now, there are already peace brokers working with them to reach a compromise on their demands." She took a sip of the tea, then set it down on the tray next to her on the couch.

"I know, I know." He said, running his hand through his hair again before dropping himself down hard on a nearby armchair, she noticed he always did that when he was stressed or overworked, much like his father. "I'm more worried about Mr. Ramis, we haven't heard anything by now, good or bad."

"He will contact you when he can." Evangeline wanted to change the subject and move on to a lighter note before bed, but she knew it was best to let him get everything off his chest, though tonight she didn't want to hear anything more about Raye.

"I know, but I worry that something went wrong." Robin said with a sigh.

"When will Jamie be here tomorrow?" Evangeline asked, turning the subject towards a living being.

"The wedding starts at eleven, so he will hopefully be here before then, but knowing him, it will be right at eleven." Robin scoffed.

"Of course," Evangeline said, reaching for her tea once more, taking another sip, "and I expect he will be bringing an escort with him?"

"I allowed him to, but he has decided not to." Robin didn't add that Jamie had said he was hoping to steal away a bridesmaid instead of bringing an escort. Such things were better left away from Evangeline's ears.

"Well, I'm going to take a shower and get ready for bed." She stood and placed her tea cup on the table before walking towards Robin. "You won't stay up too much longer will you?" She placed her hand on his shoulder as he looked up at her.

"No, just a few small things to sign and to check on the computer before I join you." Robin said, placing his hand on top of hers.

"I'll see you in the bed then." She leaned down and kissed the top of his head before leaving towards the bathroom.

Robin watched as she walked away and then got up and walked over to his desk to finish his work. He opened the window on his screen and started going through the messages from the day, replying to other diplomats and making sure that his schedule was cleared for the rest of the day tomorrow. As he was scrolling through the messages he saw something that brought him up short, a message from Mr. Ramis. Robin leaned close to the screen and clicked the open button.