Chapter 14

14

Sophie and Evangeline were settling their things later that afternoon, as a fire blazed high in the corner of the room in the great stone fireplace built into the wall. The silence between them was painful for Evangeline, but Sophie seemed to not notice her hurt, more and more Evangeline just wanted a kind word from one person who was supposed to love her, and yet all her steps kept pushing them more and more away. Evangeline ran her hand across her stomach, the place where her child was growing more each day and she smiled, knowing that at least, for now, they were safe at least. She moved towards the bathroom to freshen her face and try to shake off the mood she was in.

She splashed the cool water on her face, also getting a cloth and rubbing the cool feeling on her neck and shoulders, moving to set on the side of the large bathtub stationed in the middle of the floor. Closing her eyes for a moment, she didn't notice Sophie enter the room and stare at her for a moment. When Evangeline opened her eyes and saw Sophie in the doorway, she managed a timid smile.

"Are you alright?" Sophie asked, leaning on the doorway.

"Yes," Evangeline said, holding the damp rag in her hands in her lap, "just ready for all this to be over, for everything to get back to how it was." She traced the patterns in the edge of the rag with her finger.

"It will be." Sophie said, stepping forward and crouching in front of Evangeline, taking her hands.

"How?" Evangeline sighed, her shoulders slumping. "So many things have happened and been said that can't be taken back, how to move on from all this?"

"You know how." Sophie soothed, rubbing Evangeline's arm, Evangeline flinched back slightly.

"I just don't think I can do that, Sophie." Evangeline replied softly.

"You must, you're the only one who can end this. Robin sure won't, and how many more lives will be lost before this is over?" Sophie's eyes sparked with her belief.

"Sophie," Evangeline stood and stepped around her, placing the rag back on the counter and pulling the door to in case anyone else stepped into the room and heard them, "murder?" She whispered the word.

"It's not a murder, it's justice." Sophie repeated her argument again, standing up and turning towards Evangeline, whose back was pressed against the wall.

"Justice is letting him rot in his prison, not sending an assassin to kill him while he is defenseless." Evangeline looked down.

"Justice is making sure that no woman ever has to go through Jamie's hands again." Sophie stepped more towards Evangeline.

"Please, Sophie, let's just let it go." Evangeline reached out her hand towards Sophie. "We can just go back to how things were, Robin won't even be here for another week at least, we can just enjoy spending time with one another." Her voice quivered.

"Stop it." Sophie snapped at her, Evangeline drew her hand back. "You said you loved me, and you know I love you, but your reluctance is making me wonder how much you really do care."