Chapter 16

16

Evangeline was huddled in the corner crying, as the maids banged on the door, and Sophie stood over her with the pistol in her hand.

"It's over and done by now, we can move on." Sophie was saying to her. "I'm sorry I had to be harsh, but we did what we had to do to end all this madness." A look of devotion in her cause burned bright on her face.

"You-you had me order his death!" Evangeline sobbed as she screamed.

"Yes, I did." Sophie replied in a calm tone. "He's the reason all this happened, and now that he's gone we can forget about Raye and about that threat hanging over us. It's only a matter of time now before they find her and shut her down." She bent down and placed a hand on Evangeline's shoulder, but Evangeline shook it off.

"Get out, you evil bitch, get out!" She screeched, huddling farther in the corner. She could still feel the cold pistol against the swell of her womb as Sophie had ordered her to make the order to Artemis to murder Jamie. Sophie had been sure that Artemis wouldn't turn down a direct order once Raye had messed with him. Evangeline had hoped that Mr. Ramis had been correct about there not being any tampering other than acute memory searching.

"I'm not the evil one here," Sophie answered, standing and walking back towards the counter in the bathroom, placing the pistol on the marble and turning and crossing her arms as she leaned against the counter, "he was, Raye was, Robin was, they all are, for letting this happen. You were the only one to stand up and say you wanted her gone, if they had listened, Vance would be alive, and things would be normal."

"Because I spoke up, that's what started this." Evangeline whispered, defeated. "I told Robin I didn't want her, so he gave her to Jamie, even knowing what he was like, he caused her to break." She shook with cries and anger and pain.

"You can't blame yourself, you didn't know that Raye had been abused already, you didn't know!" Sophie pushed away from the counter and went back towards Evangeline, picking up the pistol as she did so. "No one knew."

"Doesn't matter, this is all on me, and on you." Evangeline's voice turned hard though she was still crying. "We killed someone, and I let you force me in to this." Evangeline lunged at Sophie, grabbing for the pistol as Sophie jerked back and pulled it towards herself, Evangeline landing on top of her. A shot rang out, echoing in the large bathroom.

"What are you doing?" Sophie screamed, pushing Evangeline off of her, blood soaked her midsection. The pistol fell as she fumbled around her stomach, feeling around for the wound to stop the bleeding.

"Oh, no..." Evangeline whispered, her own hand clenched to her stomach, where the blood was pouring from. There was a loud banging at the door, it seemed like they were using some sort of ram to break the door down now.

"Evangeline!" Sophie yelled, rushing back towards her once she saw that the blood was not hers, and grabbing at her to cradle her in her arms, but Evangeline pushed her back and fell forward onto her one free hand and her knees. "Please let me get help!" Sophie was crying, her bloody hand reaching for Evangeline.