40: kafir

Ripples stirred in her coffee cup when she poked the hot surface with teaspoon. Her own stomach did weird hunger ripple with each stir, She badly wanted to taste how the hot caffeine would jolt her nevers and flow warmth in her abdomen.

"We can get something else if you don't like it" Damien stated, Alina looked up from her cup, his square shoulder, defined jawline, dark strand tips falling upon his eyes, couldn't hid his uncomfortable gaze.

"No, it's fine." She shrugged lazily, she wanted it,

But she also loved the feeling of her empty stomach, the rambling sound reminded her of: her childhood; the sweet tales of her mother; the excitement of her twin, the rush, the innocence of her sister; wisdom of her father.

"It almost look it we are on a date." Damien let out an awkward chuckle.

"So, You don't want us to be on date?" Alina did a little tilt of her head, curious by the way he coughed vigorously.

"No," He tugged the collar of his shirt, perhaps the reddish tint of his cheek might made him feel hot, eyes randomly bouncing from a thing to another, "It's just..."

"--Impossible," Alina interrupted, "for you and me to be together." Her words attracted his attention.

"It's just," he let out a breath, "like a dream come true. You and me," his whisper confession.

His evergreen orbs found her, and she held his gaze, she remembered once these same eyes had confessed to her; they again dwell the fatal fear of rejection; his vulnerability glints, the terror of being hurt again.

He was once again a young boy holding his heart on his hand, with war like scars of rejection, but still it stood as warrior, ready to be crashed by dramatic froce of her words.

"You and me." Alina ecohed his words, slightly nodding her head.

Guilt striked her repeatedly, she dropped her eyelids upon her lens, every drop of tear ever flowed from his eyes, gathered, and she found herself drowning in the flood of guilt, chocking with each breath she took.

She was now able to see beyond the fence created by her society, and there she saw Damien more as a human than a kafir. He never knew, about his sins, he is as innocent as a new born, but Alina despite being full of knowledge, she lagged behind

Is it halal to hurt someone, to shudder someone's heart.

Was there any penance for a hypocrite like Alina herself, how a human could be cruel, was there even humanity felt in her?

Alina laid her head down on the table, resting over her forearms, astonishingly she felt her slimy shoulder turning heavy, she couldn't bear to rise her head.

" You are a family." Her uncle sighed, "And family are always there to support each other in their adversity."

"Yes Uncle." Alina didn't lift her gaze from her floor, she was too ashamed to face his uncle. Seating uncomfortablely in couch, she nodded.

"You shouldn't have left the house, do you know how worried I was. It's not appropriate for girls to leave the house at odd hours." Eric said

Lura scoffed, Eric turned his head to glare at her.

"And I was just scowling you,--"

"Lura, aren't I taking to her?"

Lura gestured him to continue, to which Eric shook his head, muttering words to himself.

"So, Alina" Eric smiled, the smile which a parent give to their child on their first day at school. " Your aunt told me that you like a boy,"