Chapter 19

(Y/N)  P.O.V.

     Today was a very sad day on the farm. Today, Chris had to leave. You, along with Comet where sad that he had to leave. You and him exchanged numbers so that you could keep in touch. But around noon today, you would say goodbye to him. Twelve o'clock rolled around quicker that you expected, and that saddened you greatly. You and Chris stood on the front porch, not really wanting to say goodbye to each other. He had stayed with you for about a week and during that time you two had become very close.

     You and Chris stood there, not wanting to see the disappointment in each others eyes.

"I'll call you, everyday if I can." You two finally looked up at each other.

     Out of nowhere you ran to him and hugged him tightly. You almost knocked him over, but once he regained his balance, he hugged you back just as tight. You two just stood there for a while, your face buried in his torso and his cheek resting on your head. He squeezed you tightly and then held you at arms length.

"Thank you for letting me stay here and for helping me out." He smiled and you smiled back just as brightly.

     You two just stood there and stared into each others eyes, until Dreamer came up and rubbed up against Chris' legs. He chuckled and petted Dreamer with one hand, while the other was still tightly wrapped around you.

"Well, I need to go. I'll call you, please keep me updated on everybody." He gestured to the pastures

"Will do. Bye Chris."

     He let go of you and walked to his Jeep, you watched him and he shut his eyes for a second, and then came running back up the stairs to you for one last bone crushing hug. He kissed the top of your head and mumbled another goodbye before you walked him to his vehicle.

     You waved at him as he pulled out of the drive and didn't leave your spot on the asphalt until the sleek black Jeep was out of sight.

Chris P.O.V.

     You idiot! I can't believe I just walked away from the girl I love. They do say that if you love them, let them go. But on this case, that was probably not the right thing to do. I had been driving for maybe five minuets and it took everything in me to not turn around and speed back to her cabin. It's crazy how I just met this woman and she already stole my heart. Love is a crazy thing.

     A million different thoughts ran though my head as I turned onto the main road. What if Tom comes back? What if he hurts her? My anxiety was going awol. This woman had me wrapped around her finger in a matter of days and all I managed to muster up was the courage to ask for her number. My mind kept replaying the events of the night that Tom came over. She was so scared. I had no idea what he did to her, but I knew for a fact that as long as she's in my reach, he sure as hell won't do it again.

     I couldn't take it anymore. After maybe half an hour of driving, I clicked on her contact and pressed 'call' without a second thought and without hesitation.

(Y/N) P.O.V

     I was sat down on my couch, Dreamer curled up beside me, staring at my phone, debating on wether or not I should call him. I was so caught up in my own thoughts, that I jumped when the phone rang, starling Dreamer and causing him to bark. I tried to hush Dreamer, but he wasn't having it. I saw Chris' contact and his goofy picture that he sent you:

And I immediately pressed 'accept' and pressed the phone up to my ear

(Regular is you, bold is Chris.)

"Hello?"

"Hey (y/n)- is that Dreamer?"

"Oh uh, yeah he's being a hormonal teenager, gimme a sec."

     You tried to shush Dreamer but he wasn't having it at all. So you ran to the back door and ushered him out, shuttling the door behind him. He immediately stopped his blasted yapping and went to explore your yard. You sighed and went back over to the living room and pressed the phone to your ear once again.

"I'm back, sorry about that." You chuckled.

"Oh it's no problem."

"So um, why are you calling, not that I'm complaining."

"I just need to hear your voice."

     Your lip quivered slightly at his desperate and sad tone of voice, but you kept your composure and your voice didn't betray you.

"Awe, Chris. I saw you like 45 minutes ago."

"Yeah.... I know. But that's a long time!" He whined into the phone.

     You chuckled and let dreamer back inside once he was done exploring.

"Well, you're not wrong. It feels kind of lonely here as well. I'm used to having two lost puppies following me around, now I only have one." You chuckled slightly as Chris barked out a laugh on the other end of the line.

"Yeah, it feels weird not being ordered around." You could hear the smiled in his voice.

"Well, I hope that everything turns out okay with your art and such"

"Yeah, you and me both." He sighed quietly.
"So, um. I actually did call you for another reason as well." The whole mood changed and you started to feel uncomfortable.

"Shoot."

"What did Tom do to you?" You could hear the anger and sadness in his voice.

     Memories started to flood in and your eyes started to well up with tears and you sniffled quietly, hoping that Chris wouldn't hear, but he heard it.

"Oh (y/n), it's okay. We can talk about it another time-."

"No."you cut him off. "You deserve to know."

"Me and him dated for a couple of years, everything was going fine, that is until one night he came back from a bar drunk as a skunk and just...." you sniffled as the tears started to stream down your face. The other line remained silent, Chris was being respectful and letting you finish.

******

"And many nights after that, it became a regular occurrence. I would hide from him when I heard his truck, but he would always find me."
"He always found me." You sounded defeated and tired.
"And when he did..... he-. He..."

"He hurt you."  You could hear the anger in Chris' words.
"He hurt you....Didn't he?" It sounded like Chris was getting angrier by the second. He put his anger aside and tried one last time.
"(Y/n), doll, answer me. Did he?"

"Yes." You sniffled and wiped your nose with your sleeve, Dreamer coming up to you and licking your salty tears off of your face. You pushed Dreamer away and put your phone on the coffee table, putting it on speaker phone.

"Why didn't you tell me? (Y/n) you were in the same room as him. I left you alone with him!" Chris' anger started to flare up again.
"(Y/n). If he EVER shows up to your house again, call me. And so help me god I will beat his ass to a pulp if he steps foot on your property. One call, and I'll be there, you got that?"

     You nodded, then you realized he couldn't see you, which was probably a good thing.

"Okay, Chris"

"Good. I'll call you tonight, take it easy, and keep the doors locked for me will ya?"

     You chuckled at how protective Chris was over you and then you smiled.

"Yes sir."

     You heard him chuckle on the other end of the line. You could almost hear the smirk on his face.

"Bye, doll."

"Bye Chris."

     And with that, you hung up the phone and slouched back onto the couch, Dreamer cuddled up against you. You pulled a throw blanket over the two of you and your eyelids  started to droop. You slowly drifted off into a peaceful sleep, with a soft smile on your face, knowing that someone cared.