Chapter 28

3rd Person P.O.V.

       After several years, Chris and (y/n) got married, Dorothy grew up to be a healthy and happy cow, giving birth to triplets recently. During all of this chaos, the couple had finally decided to adopt a child. Yesterday was their fifth year anniversary, and today it would be the adoption day of a lucky child.

(Y/N) P.O.V.

    Today was the day. Me and Chris had saved up and after lots of preparation and several visits to the orphanage up state,and socializing with some of the children we were finally ready to take a human child home.

      As soon as you and Chris entered the building, the place was filled with beautiful colors and soft music. You two were greeted by an old lady and what seemed to be an eighteen year old, a toddler on her hip.

"Why Mr. and Mrs. Evans! Are you finally here to adopt?" She said the last part quietly as to not rile up the children playing in the next room over.

      You both nodded and the younger woman led you to a playroom that was filled with life. There were children of all ages playing with toys and such. You and Chris scanned around the room and both went off to different sides of the room. A lot of children said hello to you as you walked by, but none of them caught your eye. You sat down on a little stool that was just your height as you watched the children play. You had a soft expression as you saw Chris doing the same.

      After sitting for a few minuets, a little boy, about six came over to you with his hands behind his back and shy expression and puppy eyes. You smiled down at him and bent down to his level. The boy had long chestnut hair that came down to just below his jaw, and striking green eyes and tan skin, with freckles dusting his face. He was a skinnier, but all the more adorable.

"Why hello there, what's your name?"

     The little boy relaxed a little and stuttered when he answered you.

"The name's M-mason ma'am." He shifted into his feet a little. He had the cutest southern accent and you just fell in love.

"It's nice to meet you Mason, I'm (y/n)." You smiled fondly at him as he smiled a grin with a few teeth missing.

     He stuck his little hand out for you to shake. You shook his hand gently and he pulled a book from behind his back and looked down at it.

"Whatcha got there, bud?"

   He looked back up at you shyly and spoke clearly time. His response was crystal clear and you were surprised to say the least.

"A book ma'am. Can you read it to me please?" He held the book out to you with two hands and you nodded.

"Of course," you started by reading out the title as he took a place right in front of you on the floor, sitting Indian style. "The Little Blue Truck."

        As you read, you glanced up at him every once in a while, for dramatic affect. He was so lost in your words, every time you paused his eyes widened and he scooted just a little bit closer. By the last page of the book, his head was rested on your knee, his little arms wrapped around your leg, and his breathing was starting to even out. You closed the book, only to look up and see Chris leaning against the doorframe, smiling lovingly at you. He nodded to the boy and you happily nodded.
This little boy was the one.

      Mason woke up after a few minutes and looked up at you with puppy eyes. What he said next made your heart swell in your chest.

"Can I go home with you miss?" He pouted and you replied. You put your hand up to your face and pretended to ponder over the question for a moment.