Chapter 5: One Goes, One Stay

I was woken up by Minho, who was eating a pastry with what I guessed was strawberry filling. Newt and Stella were already done with their breakfast.

"Good morning, princess", Minho said handing me a pastry. Newt and Stella chuckled.

"What's so funny, huh?" I asked them.

"Did you sleep well in the arms of your prince?", Newt asked laughing.

"Slim it, shank", Minho and I said at the same time. I grabbed the pastry and bit into it, sweet filling dripping down my chin. It was as good as the meal we received in the Slammer. The sweet filling brought back memories of bakery windows lined with cakes and macaroons.

"Wow this is delicious! Who makes the food?", I asked.

"That would be Siggy, also known as Frypan. That shank was born with a bloody talent, more talent than any of us.", Newt said.

"Enough chatter. I say we get going unless we want to become Griever pastries", Minho said. We all nodded our heads and grabbed whatever we had with us.

"Here Newt, take your sweater" Stella started to take off the sweater, but Newt stopped her.

"You keep it. You need it more than I do, I have more anyways. Wouldn't want a pretty girl like you to freeze to death. If we make it back you can have one as well, Violet"

Something didn't feel right. There were no Grievers to be heard, this all seemed too easy. Minho was about to step out of the secret room, but I grabbed him by the shirt and pulled him back in.

"Hey, what the hell! Why'd you do that?"

I shushed him and picked up a pebble from the floor. I threw the pebble through the vines and it hit a wall with soft clink. At the sound, a Griever appeared and walked right past our hiding place, looking for whatever had made that sound.

They all looked at me with open eyes.

"You shucking genius!" Stella said hugging me.

"What just happened?", Newt asked, confused.

"You see", I started, "the Grievers are attracted to sound. So we can confuse them with the pebbles and we can get back to the Glade."

"I think I might have something that could help", Stella said. She pulled something out of Newts' sweater pocket, something familiar. The word popped into my head: Slingshot. It was a stick in the shape of the letter Y, with her hair band tied around the top, so we could launch objects.