Chapter 5: One Goes, One Stays

"How's it used?", Minho asked.

"The pebbles would be pressed against the hair tie and pulled back to gain momentum. Then you aim and let go, simple", She smiled at what she had created. She passed me one and said, I promise to teach you how to use it if we get back to the Glade.

We will get back. We have these shanks to hold our backs.

I can't believe Newt gave me his sweater. He's cute, with the accent and all. Thank God he can't hear me.

We better stop, wouldn't want to get a headache again.

You're right

I grabbed as many pebbles as I could find and nodded to Minho. He looked at Newt with sorrow and concern.

Don't give me pity Minho, I don't need it. Are we gonna go or what?

Yeah. You girls ready to run?

Stella smirked. I was born ready. Violet?

Newt, Minho hold me back. These Grievers aren't ready.

We all gave each other encouraging nods and charged out from the vines. I could hear the Grievers coming from all directions.

"Turn right! Stella get ready to shoot into that corner to your left!", Minho shouted. I handed a pebble to Stella and she shot the pebble with incredible aim.

We had a cycle going; Minho giving us targets, handing Stella the pebbles, aim, shoot, score! We had one more turn to go when Newt tripped and the Griever appeared out nowhere. It grabbed Newt's ankle and pulled him up so they were face to face. Stella took the pebbles out of my hand and was desperately shooting them at the Griever. That only enraged the Griever, who then threw Newt against one of the walls. He hit the wall with a sickening thump and he landed unmoving on the floor. Stella and Minho ran to his aid, while I once again grabbed Newt's long knife which was on the floor in front of me.

"Stella, Minho, go get Newt back to the Glade, I'll take care of this shucking Griever. If I don't make it back, tell everyone to punch the Creators in the face for me. Oh and Minho, take care of Stella, ya shank."

Before they could say anything, I charged and dove under the Griever, cutting off one of his legs.

"This seems way to familiar. Why don't you ask your buddy how it ended? "

It charged at me and I dove to the side, making him crash against the wall. I heard the whoosh of his stinger as it passed under my foot. The Griever was dizzy from the hit and I took this as an opportunity. I was about to stab it with the knife when a memory came back to me.