Chapter 11: Rebecca's Reveal & Noah's Feelings

Noah smiled as he felt a pair of hands wrap around his waist. Placing his hands over hers, he turned her around so she faced him. A lock of hair fell across her face, which he brushed away and tucked behind her ears.

"You look beautiful, Becks."

He could hear the happiness in his voice. She made him feel like the luckiest man on Earth.

"Maybe it's because you make me feel beautiful," she responded with a broad smile.

As he held her face, he brushed his thumb over her lips, watching them part like rose petals opening up just for him.

"I've been thinking of doing this again ever since that night," he whispered, drawing his lips closer to hers.

"Me too," she said, taking a shallow breath.

Without any hesitation, he erased the space between them and kissed her - deeply, slowly, and with all his heart. Like he...like he loved her.

Noah's eyes snapped open. What the hell was that dream? He thought with astonishment, as he lay in bed, frozen. It was still in the middle of the night. Unlocking his phone, he checked his messages, as if expecting to see something from Rebecca.

But why would he? They did text a little before bed. She said she wanted to tell him something over dinner. It sounded like whatever it was, she was excited about it.

They had decided that they wouldn't bring up that kiss again. In fact, he had decided that. So why was he out here dreaming about it? Rebecca had never mentioned the kiss again. Everything was normal between them.

Wasn't it? He asked himself. Maybe what everyone has been telling me is messing with my head. George's comment at the retirement party, Pete's remark at the work happy hour that Rebecca and I had chemistry...No, I need to stop. This will just complicate things, wouldn't it? But what if there's something worth pursuing here?

"Get a grip, you asshole," Noah cursed out loud, grabbed a pillow and buried his head under it, as if to block out his thoughts.

When the alarm finally went off that morning, Noah woke up with a start. Dismissing it, he dragged himself out of bed and walked to the bathroom with his eyes barely open.

He hadn't slept well. That one dream had plunged his brain into a tug of war with Rebecca at the center of it. She was his best friend and he knew he shouldn't be thinking about them like that, but he couldn't control his mind.

And they say free will exists, he snorted and shook his head.

His dream felt so real, he thought, brushing his teeth. It felt like they were actually touching each other. He could still feel her breath on his face and her lips against his.

Groaning out loud, he spat and rinsed his mouth. "Maybe things are feeling weird right now because of the night we actually kissed and this crazy dream," he said, looking at himself in the mirror, "but when you see her tonight, everything will go back to normal. She's the same Rebecca Hayes she's always been. Don't lose your shit over nothing, Miller."

As if on cue, his phone beeped with her text.

Any suggestions for tonight? We should probably make a reservation, just in case.

Noah took a second before responding. Why don't we make dinner at one of our places instead?

You always say the right thing, boy. Ok, let's do my place. I'll grab groceries on my way from work, Rebecca replied.

I'll bring the wine, he typed back.

When she sent him a kiss emoji in response, he almost threw his phone. He had to get to the bottom of why he was feeling this way. How could he? Maybe having an open conversation with Rebecca would help, he thought.