Chapter 33: An Old Friendship Revived

" Ok, listen to me. " Jordan said with a steady voice and arms raised." You don't have to do this."

Behind him, Rebecca was utterly terrified. She half wanted to shield him by being the one standing in front but knew she would be endangering their daughter in the process. So instead, she clutched his shirt in a tight grip and focused on the gun as if her stare could prevent it from going off.

The shooter took a step closer and Rebecca stepped back instinctively, pulling Jordan along. Her mind was racing and her heart was thudding in her chest like a wild animal. She felt cold from the rain but the fear made her skin feel hot.

A slight tug around her waist made her wince, but the pang of pain that came after that knocked the air out her lungs.

Jordan noticed Rebecca's grip on him had grown tighter and he thought it was because of fright. It wasn't until she buckled over that his attention shifted from the shooter and on to her. In the split second that it took for him to turn around, Rebecca was on her knees, clutching her stomach.

"What? What is it? " he asked, alarmed and crouched next to her.

She looked at him with tearful eyes. "I think my water just broke."

His eyes widened. He had been able to keep his own fear in check so that he could diffuse the situation, but now, with his kid's life on the line, he truly was at the shooter's mercy.

Balling his hands into a fist, he stood up and turned to look at the man. "I don't know your motive to do this. No matter that, I'm hoping that hurting a pregnant lady doesn't serve that motive. You can keep me as your hostage or hurt me, but my wife needs medical attention. Please, let her go."

Rebecca cried harder. Whether it was upon hearing his words or the intense pain, she didn't know.

The shooter stood there as he had, silent and with a scowl, starring at them like they had wronged him somehow.

From the noise, they knew that the cops were close by now. Jordan thought that if he could somehow get the shooter to engage in a conversation long enough, maybe they'll have a chance. Afterall, if he wanted to shoot them, he had the past 5 minutes to do so but hadn't.

"What's this going to do for you? You know the cops are here.You will be caught," Jordan said.

"That does not matter to me," the shooter said in a deep, cold voice.

"One shot from you and they will know exactly where to find you,"Jordan reasoned.

"Then I will make that shot count." The shooter smiled evily,while Rebecca suffered another pang of pain that forced her to hunch over with her hands on the ground.

Jordan maintained a straight face but with every labored breath that Rebecca drew, he was reminded of all that he stood to lose. His heart was in his mouth but he hoped that it didn't show.

"Do whatever you want but just please let her go, " he pleaded, not caring about anything else but his wife's safety.

But before anyone could say more, the cops were behind the shooter.

"Drop your weapon! " one of them yelled at the shooter with a gun pointed at him.

Holding that smile in place, the shooter said," you drop yours or I'll shoot them."

Rebecca forced herself to keep quiet and breath through the pain quietly, but it got tough and a painful cry escaped her lips. Jordan did not immediately turn around to look at her. He didn't need to. He could feel her pain. So, in the next couple of seconds he thought his options through. It would take less than a second for him to get shot along with Rebecca. But Jordan was hoping that the second the shooter fired, so will the cops.