ׂׂૢ. the rain

・ 。゚✧: *.☽
˗ˏˋ 𝐒𝐊𝐘𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄 'ˎ˗
⊱ ────── 𝗮𝗰𝘁 𝗼𝗻𝗲. 𝗌𝗄𝗒𝗅𝗂𝗇𝖾
𝑷𝑹𝑶𝑳𝑶𝑮𝑼𝑬━━ the rain

 𝗌𝗄𝗒𝗅𝗂𝗇𝖾𝑷𝑹𝑶𝑳𝑶𝑮𝑼𝑬━━ the rain

.⋆。⋆🌧️˚。⋆。˚☣˚。⋆.
◟ ✦ SEVERE WEATHER ALERT! ❞

YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN YOUR WORLD IS ABOUT TO CHANGE. We got so stuck in how things are, how they're supposed to be, that no one saw it coming. It was supposed to be a normal day...that was until the rain came.

Kai Mathieson was only eleven years old when the world fell apart. Back then, things were simple. She was a kid who trusted her mother's words when she told her everything would be okay. It had to...until it didn't.

But things didn't happen like they were supposed to that day anyway. Like a cyst in her brain, the memories festered, reminding her of the worst day of her life.

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

Kai sighed softly, trying to suppress a cough as her body ached. "Please, Mum, I don't think I can make it to school today," the eleven-year-old begged her mother, covering her mouth as she began to cough hoarsely from underneath her sea-green aquatic patterned comforter. "My throat is killing me."

Sven returned from the kitchen, smiling reassuringly at his younger sister as he went to kneel at her bedside. He gently touched her forehead, feeling its heat before looking at his mother. "She's burning up." He grabbed the water from her nightstand before giving her it and the medicine he went to retrieve. "I could stay home today-"

"No, you can't." Johanne told her son, also feeling the heat from Kai's fever. "Don't you have that exam today?"

Sven ran his hands through his hair as he glanced back at his ill sister. "I know, but I don't know if she can be home by herself yet."

"I'm eleven, Vennie." the youngest swore, swallowing the medicine and turning toward him. "I can take care of myself now."

The sixteen-year-old gazed soften. "Lilla du..." He paused to brush her wild, curly hair from her forehead. "It's my job to take care of you. Don't grow up too fast. You have your whole life ahead of you."

Johanne matched the pout on Kai's face playfully before embracing them both in a hug. "My lovely children..." Kai groaned as her mother peppered them with kisses.

Her mother always liked to tease her children when they were caught getting along. It wasn't that they always fought, but Johanne thought anything her children did since birth was adorable. It didn't help that Sven couldn't find the heart to tell their mother that it was embarrassing whenever they were in public.

"I wish I could stay home, Umi." Kai perked at the sound of her middle name. "But it's exam season, and your brother's soccer game is coming up. We'll have to be at the school all day."