Chapter 25: Gulf

What the hell was I thinking. We are just fuck buddies, you didn't have to ruin the moment Gulf. You looked like a fool. That's the half of my brain. The other half though, but that's just one part of it, right? This has been bothering you for a while. It's good you asked. Now you know your place. Better finish this now before it get's complicated. It's a wrecking ball anyway. There's no way it's gonna end well.

-------------------------

Monday came like weekend was a blur. It was monotone for me, just doing the laundry and running errands before the long practice starts. I made up my mind not to think about the professor. It's a good thing my conviction against cheating is so strong. I didn't even think twice about my decision.

My father died ten years ago. Not even a year after, my mother got married to his best friend to save the company. I was too young to understand anything then. All I know for sure is my father was a great man. He was always gentle with my mother and always turned a blind eye when she defies him. He was a dedicated owner of a construction company and always was a compassionate boss to his employees. One night I saw him leave the house with a suitcase. Thinking that it was just another business trip, I didn't really think too much of it, until I saw my mother crying in his study that night. The next day, police swarmed in the house. A building my father was constructing was caught on fire and one of the casualties was my father. I found out that there were more than ten who died in the fire and that it was arson. For a mere nine year old then, I just absorb everything the adults tell me. It wasn't until I was fifteen that I figured out what arson means and that the one responsible for the fire has never been caught until now. I am not sure if it was my uncle who caused the fire, very unlikely since he has proven so many times that he loves my mother and has respected my father when he was alive. The thing is, I can't really rule that out until I know who.

-----------------------------

Philosophy. I hope I really don't fail in his class and he doesn't fail me out of bitterness. I am doing really well actually and if he does something to intentionally compromise my plans, I might just hit him with his own philo-notes. I still plan to get out of this school. This time though, with an IFL trophy in my hand.

"Good morning class, how's the weekend?"

Who are you really asking professor? I looked up from my notes and he was looking at me. Shit. Did I just say that out loud? He was staring at me. For a long time. A long time that everyone looked at me. "Ummmm, my weekend was great?... I guess?... Professor?" Why the fuck is he staring?

He fixed his tie, "Class, Mrs Potts is coming back tomorrow. You know what that means right?"

Everyone was whining. I was shocked. Congratulations Gulf, now you wouldn't worry about him failing you. If you fail this time, it's really gonna be on you.

-----------------------------

Practice was hell, I was so distracted the coach has been shouting at me nonstop to get it together.

I was distracted because Mew decided to play again but this time as a goalie. How am I suppose to kick the ball in the basket when all I want is to hit him instead? Coach was not having it, after the third goal attempt, he called me to the side," What are you doing Gulf? Do you want to be kicked out of this school?"

"Of course not coach. I'll try harder."

"Yeah do that instead of hitting him in the face or else you might not reach the championship."

When coach and I came back to the field though, the team is paralyzed and looking outside the field. I glanced quickly to see why and then did a double take. CHEERDANCERS.  I almost forgot about them. They were practicing some stunts and my foolish teammates are drooling. One player whistled. The cheerdancers turned and now scanning the field. Some saw me, they giggled and waved. Yup, I used to live for this shit. I waved back, because, why not. Come to think of it, I am still attracted to girls, if I was really into him, I wouldn't even turn twice for these girls.

We went back to playing and this time I am focused. My emotions in place and pretended the goalie doesn't have the face I used to see in my dream.

Professor is pretty good though,because no matter how I try, I ended up not being able to shoot the ball.

After practice, everyone gathered again.

"Gulf, you have a new goal now, Mew will be the goalie until you are able to go past him. You might need to extend your practice so you can practice together."

"No need coach."

"That's not necessary coach."

Taken aback by both our answers, I looked at him. I want to punch his expressionless face again. He is such an arrogant asshole.

"Go now team, and please do not invite the cheerdancers on a date on a school night. if I see you having a hard time in practice because of the girls, you'll pay dearly."

"Yes coach." The team is so obedient tonight, if I don't know any better I would probably believe them.

-----------------------------

My phone rang after I showered in the gym. "Yes, Jag."

"Are you in the dorm now?"

"Not yet, why?"

"Good. I saw your team in District Bar with your new cheerdancers."

"I know."

"Aren't you going there?"

"I don't plan to."

"But I need you as an excuse to go there."

"You're kidding right? You're not even part of the team."

"Hence, I need you there."

"Don't do this to me Jag. I am so tired all I want is sleep."

"I'm waiting for you beside the bar, be here in 10."

Sometimes,  friends are just a nuisance.