Chapter 42: Mew

I just can't get to him.

I don't know what hurts more, knowing that he is married now or knowing that when he left three years ago, he really decided to close our book. I can't count the times I tried to contact him. I also contacted him in messenger once. I tried to explain about my parents, that I was protecting my sister. I was seenzoned. Until now from all the mistakes I did, I still can't figure out what really pissed him off. Probably all.

But this won't stop me though. I am so used with this pain, I can just sleep it off and I'll be finding new ways to get to him the next day. I've been doing this for three years. This doesn't faze me. Even if I have to share him with his wife. Really Mew? Are you sure about that? Oh fuck it! I wanna bang my head to the wall.

-----------------------------

I started early the next day. By 9am, I am already at the office. It's a small office space I rented close to the city hall. I texted Gulf the address and that he can come whenever it's convenient for him and that the box of evidences already arrived.

"I'm at my desk reading through the testimonials with my glasses on when the office phone beeped.

"What is it Malee?"

"A Gulf McQueen is here to see you Attorney."

"Let him in."

A second after, the door opened. "Really Mew? Your secretary's name is Malee?"

"What can I say Gulf, it's a common name." I took off my glasses, put my fingers on the bridge of my nose and blinked a few times. The reading is giving me a massive headache. I looked at Gulf.

Gulf is looking at me like he is seeing me for the first time. "I never saw you with glasses on."

"There's a lot you haven't seen yet Gulf." Shit, too early for a comeback like that Mew.

He rolled his eyes and moved closer. He sat in front of my desk and started to dig in to the stack of papers in front of him. "So how do we start?"

"So these are the reports made by the city fire department. This in the middle is the investigation report by the police and these here are the testimonials of the people who the victims have talked to during the day." He looks like he will have a headache too.

"So, ummm. Do we start on the police report?"

"Let's split the testimonials first."

"I was afraid you'd say that. Umm, Mew, I'll just bring the papers with me. I need to get back to my place and it's a three hour travel. I'll review it at home and will contact-----"

"Wait, where's home?"

He looked at me. "Just outside the city."

"Have you been there all this time?"

"Yes. But I don't think that's important right now."

It's important to me Gulf, I wondered for three years. I sighed trying to control my emotions. "Are you going back to your wife?"

I don't know how to make of his look, like he's reading me. "And business. I left Jag there to take care of business."

"And you wouldn't tell me what and where that business is, right?"

"Right."

Patience Mew, three years is no joke for both of you. "Okay then, bring this with you." I gave him half the stack of papers. "You can bring these testimonies with you. Remember that the police result said someone tried to burn the construction site so you just have to find clues. This had been done by the police already so don't get stressed out if you don't find anything."

He nodded.

"Also, I sent you an audio of my sister's narration of the event. We can talk about it when you're back."

He nodded again.

"Can I ask when you'll be back?"

"Within the week. I'll text you."

"Good enough." I put my glasses on and bowed my head again. I can't look up, I'm starting to feel my eyes water.

"Bye."

--------------------------------

I am torn between having to find out where he lives and respecting his space. He is so near yet so far. It's easier to find him now that I know where to look but if I do I might chase him away. I'll be back to zero. I want him to trust me but I also need a clear headspace so I can work through this stack of papers. All I think about now is him. There's no room for arson and my other conspiracy theories.

Oh fuck it.

Ring. Ring. "Hello? Mew? Why are you calling?"

"Hi Aunt Rita. Sorry I had to call you."

"It's okay Mew. What is it?"

"Listen, ummm. Gulf was here at the office this morning and he forgot some stuff. I need to give it to him."

"Ummm. He's probably at his apartment in central district---"

"He said something about going back to his wife---"

"Wife? But he doesn't have  a wife."

"What now?" My heart skipped a bit.

"Are you sure he said wife?"

"Now that I think about, I probably heard wrong."

"I'll give you his 2 addresses, one in central district and one a few hours drive from the city."

"That's great! Thank you so much Auntie."

"That's nothing. I hope there's progress in your investigation."

"Working on it. Bye."

The little shit lied. I never thought I'd be happy with a lie. Just you wait Gulf, I'll be coming for you.
------------------------------

Around 4pm, I was already outside the city and driving across the atlantic. The sea breeze touching my face. So this is Gulf's world, I want to squeeze in and be a part of it. Waze said, 30 minutes more and I'm there. I have it all planned. I brought all my research materials. I'll tell him I need to be able to think clearly and the ambiance in this part of the world is the best place for it.
-------------------------------

Almost there, I was driving slowly checking the establishments' signage.  His mother gave the address but not the name of the business so I still need to check which is which. Lito's Barbecue, Britney's Karaoke, Brocolli Only, huh? such weird names, Baby Mechanic. I stopped my car abruptly, my dick just went up. I smiled, oh Gulf why would you name your business Baby Mechanic. I parked the car in an empty lot and went to the auto shop. The place looks like a bigger garage. From afar, I see a yacht atop a platform next to a Mercedez- Benz G 63 AMG 6by6 truck. My eyes bulged and my mouth hang open. This pick up is Class A.

"You can close your mouth anytime."

I looked down to see Gulf lying down on a rolling mechanic creeper. His blue shirt with shells on it fully unbuttoned. His distressed jeans zipped but with no buttons to lock it in place. He is holding some wrench and a plier and looking irritatingly at me. A wind just passed by and his shirt fully opened. I see his tanned chest and a nipple ring. A few more notches of my heart racing and I might have a heart attack.

He stood up and walked to his work table. "Stop sallivating Mew. What are you doing here?"

"Baby Mechanic." That's all I managed to say.

"Huh?" He faced me again.

"Your shop. It's Baby Mechanic. There's nothing baby about you now."

He blushed. Now there's baby mechanic.

"Go back where you came from Mew."