Chapter 55: Mew

I went to the office the next day like nothing happened. Malee is on leave since it's safer for her to not go to the office for now. I asked for her help yesterday. I know my uncle will find a way to get in the office. Gulf and I listed 5 possible scenarios that my uncle will take and 1 of them was him contacting my secretary so I briefed her about it. When she called last night, she said that my uncle bribed her with a big amount if she gives him the key to the office. I have a feeling this is what he will do because of how he paid the police before to keep them silent. I told Malee to accept the money and I will take care of the rest.

Around lunch, my uncle strode in my office. I was expecting this. "We need to talk." He said in a chilling voice.

I looked up at him and crossed my arm, "Wow uncle, this is new. You just barged in to my office."

"I called your phone and you weren't answering so I decided to come here." He was pacing in front of me. "You have to drop your investigation Mew."

"Do you have anything to do with my parents' death uncle?" I deadpan asked. Thirteen years, I have been wanting to ask him this but didn't know how to prove it.

My uncle looked at me, "I am protecting our family Mew."

"Fuck you!" I exploded. "I have been hearing you say that for a very long time. That phrase just chained me and my sister to you. Why don't you come clean now huh? Admit that you were the one who had my parents killed."

My uncle fisted his hand, "You don't know what you're saying nephew."

"Then enlighten me. I am all ears uncle. It's high time we get this straightened out."

He went to the window and looked outside. "He wasn't suppose to be there."

Is he finally speaking? I didn't dare interrupt him.

"He was the one who put your sister and mother in danger." Then he faced me. "I'm not going down for this nephew, remember that."

"You're not making sense uncle."

"They insisted on something that shouldn't happen. I just wanted to right things. That's what I was paid to do. He was the one who turned on his own company."

My mind was running a mile a minute, trying to decipher the things he was saying. I am trying to piece the puzzle together.

He turned to me, "McQueen was a cruel man. He was obsessed with your father." He observed me, waiting for me to be surprised. I wanted to act surprised, but I really am not a good liar. He laughed out loud, "We aren't going to play this game nephew. You can't fool me."

I have to play this right. "Oh no uncle, I wasn't trying to. I already know you're involved but it's good that you're acknowledging it."

He raised his brow and stopped laughing, "You will never be able to prove it."

"Maybe I can't...or---" I smirked.

"What are you hiding nephew?"

"Well for one, I already know you were the one who saved my sister from the fire. I will always thank you for that."

He suddenly looked tensed. I didn't really know that. I just assumed he was the one who saved my sister. When I talked to her, she was so sure that my mother knows the identity of the person who saved her from the fire because my mother instructed someone to save her like my monther knew the person.

My uncle slumped down to the sofa. He looks resigned, like he was so tired of everything. Overnight, he looked like he aged ten years. "How did you know about your father and McQueen?"

"A tip." I said.

"A tip? No one new about it."

"Are you saying that you're the only one who knows uncle?" I caught him off guard.

He looked at me. "It doesn't matter if I am the only one who knows."

"But it does, since McQueen Construction has a non-binary gender policy." I said.

He looked at me closely, then he sighed and leaned backwards at the sofa. "It seems that I have been underestimating you nephew." Then he crossed his arms, "Your father and Gulf's father were having an affair. They were cheating on their wives."

"So you decided to end their life?"

"It wasn't me. There's too much buried history there. You wouldn't understand."

"Then make me. If you are really innocent, make me believe you uncle. Let's end it here, now."

He fell silent, for a long time. I let him. My uncle was a cruel greedy man, but if there was anything good about him, it was the extent he will go through to protect the reputation of his family.

He finally spoke, " Your father met McQueen in uni. They were both wild and free, while I was working my ass off to run the firm with your grandfather your father was busy humping McQueen. Your father had to end it though. He chose us over that kind of love. He knew it wasn't healthy. McQueen was carefree while your father cannot leave his responsibilty. Your father married your mother and we thought that was the end of it. Then McQueen Construction boomed and McQueen himself hired the firm to represent his company. The firm then was in the brink of shambles, we cannot refuse. McQueen was a different man then, his experience with your father toughened him up. He was ruthless. He didn't want anything to do with your father, nor any other gay men, he even didn't allow it in his company. He became homophobic. Or so I thought."

My uncle looked at me, "A few years later, he became less ruthless, more forgiving. Then I found out about them having an affair. So I made your father work for the firm. You see, McQueen will not give up his company for anything, not even for your father. If your father joins the firm, the non-binary policy will apply to him. Besides, they can't afford a scandal."

I was listening intently while trying to remember the letters at the back of the sketch. I finally have some answers.

"That's it." He said then stood up. What the fuck! He's not yet done.

"Uncle, I don't think we're done here."

His phone rang, "Yes?!"

Something was said on the other line that prompted him to look at me. "Why didn't you call sooner?"

I see him getting riled up, "Why did you let them take it?!!!" Then he abruptly ended the call.

He then suddenly charged to me. I stood up, ready for aything. "What have you done Mew?"

Not even a minute more, the door opened. My uncle and I looked at the same time. Gulf went in with two police officer.

"What is the meaning of this Mew?" My uncle looked lost and surprised.

The officer approached my uncle, "Please accompany us to the police station for questioning."

"Questioning? What have I done?" He is trying to understand what's happening.

"You were charged for trespassing last night, among other things."

Gulf spoke for the first time, "What were you doing here last night, Attorney Bennett?"

My uncle looked at me and Gulf back and forth, " So this is it huh? You both connived against me. Well, there was nothing here. I can go with these officers but will eventually be released soon enough. I didn't get anything from your office."

"We know." Gulf and I said at the same time.

I added, "But because of what you did, we were able to obtain probable cause to search your house."

"Search my house for what?" He asked getting so frustrated.

"You'll know soon. You can bring him officers." I said, finally able to breath.

He didn't have a choice but to go with the officers.

I went to Gulf and hugged him. Now we wait.