Chapter 7

Maya sat late the evening thinking about what Alan had told her earlier that morning.
Obviously she was aware that she is lucky to even be there considering what she has been through but she doesn't know how she was going to move again.

"What you thinking about?" Josh asked as he sat down next to her on her bed.
"Thinking. Again. Or trying to understand how my life went so wrong," Maya said.
"Well at least..."
"Don't finish that sentence. I already got it from your father," Maya said.
"Then you should know you are lucky. Come on, Maya. You are extremely lucky. Most people don't survive a abusive household," Josh said and Maya looked at him.

For the fist time it sank in.
She was between people who couldn't know more about her situation.
She stood up walking around making Josh realize she was totally freaked out.

"Sorry, that came out the wrong... Are you okay?" Josh asked as tears streamed down Maya's cheek.
"Maya?" Josh asked as he went to stand in front of her.

She didn't make eye contact but knew he was in front of her.
He pulled her close into his chest as he tried to calm her down.
Something he said definitely pushed the wrong buttons.
Suddenly Maya started to sob and now Josh had truly no idea how to help her.
She was a total mess and he knew it.
He knew it wasn't just something which was gonna past very soon.
She was going to be like that for a long time.