━ 4 | Lessons

❝Idiot boy! I suppose you added the porcupine quills before taking the cauldron off the fire?❞
❝Instead of scolding him for a common mistake, I'm sure, maybe you should have someone take him to the hospital wing?❞

NOVA WOKE UP quite early the next morning at around seven and was more than happy to start her schooling at Hogwarts

After a quick shower, Nova changed into her robes before she went down to breakfast with Hermione. She was surprised they didn't get lost with how many staircases and doors were scattered around the castle.

There were a hundred and forty-two staircases in total at Hogwarts: wide, sweeping ones; narrow, rickety ones, some that led somewhere different on a Friday; some with a vanishing step halfway up that you had to remember to jump.

On top of that, some doors wouldn't open unless you asked politely, or tickled them in exactly the right place, and doors that weren't really doors at all, but solid walls just pretending.

Nova and Hermione talked about the possible upcoming lessons as they ate breakfast. Professor McGonagall came over to give them their timetables soon after, which only made them more excited to get started.

They talked a little more when Hermione announced she was going to start making her way to their first lesson.

"But we have an hour and a half until lessons start," Nova said as she looked at her bushy-haired friend in confusion.

Hermione nodded. "Yeah, well you can never be too early, I want to make sure I make it on time."

"But we have an hour and a half until lessons start," Nova repeated, and Hermione rolled her eyes slightly, "I'll see you there, Nova!"

With that, Hermione left the Great Hall. Soon Harry and Ron joined her at the table, and Ron, being Ron, immediately started to pile his plate up with food. Nova watched as her best friend started to devour everything on his plate.

She looked at Harry, who was eating less disgustingly, and they exchanged a look at their friend's antics. Harry then told her about their encounter with the caretaker, Filch. He said how he and Ron were trying to get through a door to get to the Great Hall for breakfast. The door turned out to be the one that led to the out-of-bounds corridor on the third floor. Filch didn't believe they were lost, was sure they were trying to break in on purpose and was threatening to lock them in the dungeons when they were rescued by Professor Quirrell, who was passing.

After they received their timetables from Professor McGonagall and finished eating, the trio left the Great Hall in search of their first lesson.

Throughout the day, whispers followed the trio as they made their way from classroom to classroom. People lining up outside classrooms stood on their tiptoes to get a look at Harry or double back to pass him in the corridors again, staring.