━ 9 | Quidditch

❝The big one.❞
❝The one we've all been waiting for.❞

AS NOVEMBER FELL UPON THEM, the weather turned quite cold

AS NOVEMBER FELL UPON THEM, the weather turned quite cold. The mountains around the school became icy grey and the lake was like chilled steel. Every morning the ground was covered with frost. Hagrid could be seen from the upstairs windows defrosting broomsticks on the Quidditch pitch, bundled up in a long moleskin overcoat, rabbit fur gloves, and enormous beaverskin boots.

The Quidditch season had begun. After weeks of training, Nova and Harry would be playing their first match, which just so happened to be against Slytherin. If Gryffindor won, they would move up into second place in the House Championship.

Hardly anyone had seen Nova or Harry play because Oliver had decided that, as their secret weapons, the two should be kept, well, secret. But the news that they were playing Chaser and Seeker had leaked out somehow. Neither of them knew what was worse — people telling them they'd be brilliant or people telling them they'd be running underneath them holding a mattress.

Nova was over the moon now that Harry and Ron had become friends with Hermione. She no longer had to split her time between the three and could finally spend time with them as a whole. Hermione had become a bit more relaxed about breaking rules since Harry and Ron saved her and Nova from the mountain troll, and she was much nicer for it.

Oliver had started calling last-minute Quidditch practises, which gave Nova and Harry even less time to do all their homework. Lucky for them, Hermione had stepped in to help them and even lent Harry Quidditch Through the Ages, which he found to be a very interesting read.

Nova had quickly noticed that Quidditch had become Harry's Astronomy in a sense. He would talk about all the things he learned from the book Hermione lent to him, like the seven hundred ways of committing a Quidditch foul. He spoke about Quidditch as much as she did about Astronomy. Though, while she often shared his enthusiasm with Quidditch, he would still just sit and listen whenever she rambled about the stars in the night sky.

The day before Nova and Harry's first Quidditch match, the four of them were out in the freezing courtyard during their break. Hermione had conjured them up a bright blue fire that could be carried around in a jam jar.

They stood with their backs to it to get warm when Snape crossed the yard. Nova had looked up from the book she was reading and noticed he had a limp in his step. She furrowed her eyebrows before she glanced at Harry, who stood next to her with his Quidditch Through the Ages book. He motioned to Snape with his head slightly, which told her he had noticed the limp as well.

The quartet huddled closer together to block the fire from view; they were sure it wouldn't be allowed. Unfortunately, something about their guilty faces caught Snape's eye, and he limped over. He hadn't seen the fire, but he seemed to be looking for a reason to tell them off anyways.