Chapter 5: Kyle (Part 2)

Best Friends and Lies

"I can't believe your home!" Eddy exclaimed as he sat a tray of tea and cookies down on the coffee table in front of us. I looked at the tray then back at him. He looked at the tray and chuckled under his breath. "Yeah.. I'm mostly use to women coming over, so this is a habit." He laughed. I nodded in understanding.

"Yeah, well.. I guess you won't have to worry about entertaining house wives anymore." I teased. He laughed once more.

"Yeah. Thank you! You always show up at the right time." He teased back with a roll of his eyes. I scoffed and playfully pushed at his shoulder with my elbow.

"I'll still have a cookie though!" I exclaimed. He smiled, then nodded.

"Yeah. Of course man, go ahead." He said as he picked up the plate of cookies off the tray and brought it towards me. I took one and got a little excited inside when I saw it was chocolate chip. Homemade?.. Go ahead Eddy. I bite into the cookie and nodded in approval.

"Mm.. This is good." I praised him. He nodded and set the plate back down on the tray. As I took another bite out of the cookie I heard a door open then slam, a second later I see Max come stomping from around the corner. When his eyes landed on me they lite up. I couldn't help but smile. "Hello my dear brother-in-law." I teased. He laughed and made his way towards. I put the cookie down on the tray and stood just in time to be engulfed in a hug by Max.

"Welcome home." He breathed out as he squeezed me a little harder then finally let me go. I smiled up at him and he smiled down back at me. "I bet my brother was killing over when he saw you." I chuckled.

"Yeah. He was actually! But, something came up and we had to part ways for a bit." I filled him in. He nodded.

"I know about Peter. I heard he's doing okay. Shocked. But okay.."

"What about Peter? What happen to him?" Eddy asked Max getting up from the sofa. His mate swiftly ignore him as he patted my shoulder and smiled.

"Welcome back home Kyle. Sorry I can't stay longer and talk, but we've been having minor problems in the woods that no one can seem to figure out. So, I better get going." I nodded my head meekly and peeked at Eddy who's face seem to suddenly take on a light pink shade. Max shot me one more smile before heading back up the three stairs and to the door, I cringe as Eddy angrily went after him. This was going to be so awkward.

"Max, I'm talking to you!" Eddy yelled. "What's going on with Pet.."

"Oh! So now that it's more convenient for you, it's okay to talk." Max scoffed as he opened the door and left out the house, slamming the door very hard behind him. I heard Eddy curse under his breath then a loud thud. Concern I slowly made my way towards the little set of stairs and sat on the top one. Eddy was sitting on the floor with his back against the front door, with his knees drawn up to his chest and his elbows resting on them. He had his chin resting on his crossed arms and he was looking off down his dim lit hallway.

"You know," he started with a soft sigh. "Starting a life with Max wasn't easy. I thought it was going to be. But, you know my thoughts are never right." I smiled at his attempted to place light humor in what seemed was about to turn into a serious confession. "I mean after you left, he comforted me so much. Even though he was just starting off as a Beta and was mostly very busy, he made time to come to my parents and check on me. He's really like the best mate ever. He did so much for me during that time so, of course it was natural I wanted to give back. When the announcement of the pack moving to a new area came to light I thought it'd be a good idea to maybe bring up the possibility of us moving in together. Of course as you could see we did just that." He murmured his last words. I frown as I noticed his frown deepening.