Trois

Kay jolted awake, hearing a crash from the next room. He stumbled to his feet defensively, unwilling to be caught unaware. That had happened too many times and had never ended well. When nothing came – when nobody came in – Kay relaxed his stance but didn't move. His instinct was to get the hell out of here. Leave and figure things out later. No. This was his best shot. London had been immediately welcoming. What kind of person would Kay be if he rejected that help without even a thanks?

He headed through to the kitchen, still on edge. He should leave. Now. Before he dragged London into any of his mess.

"Everything okay out here?" Kay asked softly, seeing London visibly jump at his sudden presence.

"Yeah, yeah. Sorry, did I wake you up?"

Kay shook his head. He had, but it wasn't important.

"What are you making?"

London silently gestured for Kay to come closer, and he hesitated. Now the panic had worn off, he was wary. Wary of approaching the gas stove – the flames sent an uncomfortable sensation down his spine. London hadn't noticed the stalling. Instead of making a big deal out of it, he stepped forward to stand near London and watch.

"Zucchini loaf," London said simply, "With poached egg, if you want," he added, gesturing to the eggs in the pan on the stove. "The neighbours keep chickens," he added, as if it somehow explained to Kay all of the effort that was put into the breakfast. Kay would much rather grab a handful of cereal and be out the door if he were at home. Maybe a piece of fruit if he was really hungry. Never something with this much effort.

"I hope this isn't on my account," Kay said quietly. "Because, if it is –"

"Don't worry, this is normal, and you've got to be at least a little hungry. Before last night, when did you last eat something?"

Things were fuzzy, and London's concern sounded more like an accusation, but Kay did his best to brush it off with a shrug.

"I don't remember. I haven't really been able to put much in order. Couldn't have been too long ago," he shrugged again.

By the time breakfast was done, Kay was starving. Maybe it had been longer than he thought. He didn't speak while he ate, quickly swallowing the food London had prepared. That was before he realised how rude he was being.

"Sorry. It's been a while since I've had company," Kay tried to defend himself, rather than truly apologising. "And for last night. I meant to say thank you."

London just shook his head, silently amused at the boy's attitude to all of this, and he was allowed to be. Kay was... unfazed... by it. Surely he should be more distressed? Less detached? It wasn't like London would know. Nothing he had been through even remotely matched up with what Kay had described.

"I looked you up," he finally confessed, putting his plate down as he spoke.

"Hm?" Kay looked up from his plate. "Find anything good?"

"No, I'm not sure you'll like it, let me just grab my computer. It's easier to show you," London decided. It meant that he didn't have to be the one to break the news. It was a technicality, granted, but he wasn't sure if he could cope with throwing another bad thing at Kay.

Kay watched as London headed up the stairs, deciding to put his plate down and follow up behind him, making very little noise as he ascended the stairs and stood in the doorway, just watching London gather the laptop and turn back towards the door, not looking up.