Dix-Huit

Kay hadn't heard Ferris leave in the morning. He'd been far too tired to even roll over when Ferris had left the apartment, leaving him completely alone for now.

He jerked awake, hearing his ringtone from the coffee table. The vibrations sent shockwaves through him and he brought his forearm over his face. Until he realised that it could be important. He reluctantly dragged himself off of the couch and turned his phone over.

'London' was displayed on the screen, along with the time. 7:32am.

Kay picked up as quickly as he could, his words from the previous night coming into focus. He'd promised to let London know he was safe, and he hadn't followed through.

"Hey – morning," Kay mumbled, putting the phone on speaker and lying back down on the couch, head on the arm. "I'm sorry I didn't call last night."

"Is everything okay? You didn't call, and I waited up, but nothing came through. Did you stay with Ferris last night? Do you have any more plans?"

"Uh –" Kay paused, trying to craft an explanation that didn't put him at fault. There wasn't one. "Yeah, I'm fine, I was just exhausted and I completely forgot to call, that's all. Really. And he let me stay, yeah, he was really chilled about it. I didn't know that you talked about me with him, though?" It came out like a question.

"You're my friend, and Ferris likes hearing about that sort of thing, I guess, but I'm glad that you're okay. I really am. Are you going back to New York?"

"Back? No, London, I'm not. I don't think I ever want to. I withdrew most of my savings, and I'm quitting my job. I just – all I need to set up here is a place to rent and a job. I know it's easier said than done, but I know I can do it."

"I wasn't going to tell you to. I think you're making the right choice," London responded softly. Supportively. "I shouldn't have encouraged you to stay at home like I did. I didn't know your situation, and it was wrong for me to push you. I'm behind you, whatever you choose."

"I'm choosing North Carolina. Maybe not forever, but it seems nice here. Nicer than the city, that's for sure. When do you graduate? Are you coming back here when you do?"

"Soon, as long as I pass..."

"You will."

"I get my grade at the end of this month, and I'll probably be flying back at the start of February. It's all ending so soon, it's kind of scary."

"Are you looking forward to coming back, though?" Kay asked. "Because I know you like it over there."

"Of course I am, it's been amazing, but I'm ready to be done with all of it, you know? I miss Ferris, and my family, and you. I'm ready to move back. Most of my stuff is packed, which is going to be a nightmare if I don't pass, but I'm confident in it, I think," London kept talking, not realising that he'd stunned Kay into silence with his previous words.

"You miss me?" Kay finally asked, pushing himself up to a sitting position and looking at the phone sitting on the table.

"Why wouldn't I? We lived together for what? six months?" London asked. "Plus, on top of that, you are my friend, regardless of what you think. I miss you and I want to catch up, but not over the phone. In person."

London's explanation panned out, Kay supposed, but it felt too good to be true. London was offering a continuation of their friendship while asking for nothing in return. It was nice, but he didn't have to do it.

"Okay, yeah, I get it," Kay agreed, tone softened significantly. "I'm sorry that I didn't come out to visit you again, I planned to, but things got kind of difficult." That was an understatement.