Trente

Kay sat on the cement floor with his hands around his knees. He'd lost track of how long he'd been here, but it hadn't been long. A few hours at most.

He'd been told to sit still and be quiet, so that was what he'd do. It wasn't much of an ask and it was a welcome break from what was becoming regular manhandling and roughhousing.

Sitting quietly was preferable to being drilled on where Halden was, what Halden was doing – just Halden. That was all they wanted to know about. At least it was just one thing that he needed to stay quiet about.

The door down to the basement opened and Kay glanced upwards in time to see a man – he'd introduced himself as Isaac several hours prior – descending the stairs.

"Hey, kid, empty your pockets," was the simple instruction he was given.

"I'm not a kid."

"Just empty your pockets, I don't care. For the record, seventeen is a kid."

"I'm eighteen soon."

"Be quiet. I don't want to have to force you. Empty your pockets and put everything on the floor," the instruction came again.

"One of you already took my phone, what else do you want?"

"Whatever's in your pockets, unless you want me to empty them myself."

Kay didn't know what Isaac was inferring, and he didn't want to. Instead, he reached into his pockets and emptied the contents onto the floor in front of him. Four fake IDs. A basic MP3 player. A gas station receipt for a chocolate bar and cold pasta. And a set of keys.

He'd taken out his nose ring and ear piercings as well once he'd realised that even the idea of any of them getting ripped out made him cringe. He didn't drop those onto the pile, though. He'd lost them at some point. Not that he cared.

Isaac bent down and picked up all of the items, seeming unimpressed by the selection of items. "Do you really need four fake IDs?"

"That's your problem with all this?"

Isaac shrugged, looking Kay up and down.

"And the ring, can't have you keeping that." He instructed bluntly.

"The ring?" Kay glanced down at his left hand, eyes landing on the plain silver band around his finger. Well, silver in colour. It was cheap, but it meant something. He shook his head, "I'm not giving it to you."

"No? That's not what I wanted to hear," Isaac responded, crushing the distance between them and crouching in front of Kay. "Are you going to give me a better answer?"

Kay silently shook his head, making eye contact with Isaac.

"That's a stupid decision. Give me your hand."

"Fuck off, it's just a ring. What am I going to do with it?"

"If it's just a ring, give it to me."

"No."

In the next moment, Isaac had shoved Kay onto his back and was straddling him, forcing him onto the floor. Kay struggled beneath him, unable to find the strength to push Isaac off of him. Even when Isaac was no longer holding him down, Kay couldn't move from underneath him, or pull away his wrist when Isaac grabbed it.

He clenched his fist when Isaac tried to take the ring from him. He should just let him have it – just let Isaac take it. It wasn't worth this.

"You can have it, I'll take it off," Kay fumbled.

"No, you missed your chance."

"What?" Kay frantically tried to squirm out from underneath Isaac. "I said I'd do what you wanted!"

Kay pulled away as Isaac took hold of his hand but didn't manage to get away. Then he yelled in pain as Isaac grabbed his finger and twisted. A stomach churning snap. Pain exploded up his arm as he yelped and continued to struggle.

A second snap. A third.

Then, Isaac gently taking the ring and pocketing it.

Kay numbly let tears trail down his face as Isaac stood up, giving him a nudge with his foot and telling him to 'sit up'. He kept his injured hand close to his stomach as he slowly sat up. Just breathing evenly was difficult as pain radiated from his left hand. Distantly, he realised that he was shaking. Trembling.

"Get up, the door behind you is the bathroom. Take a fucking shower," Isaac snapped, gesturing to behind Kay. "Don't make me force you. If you behave, I won't break the rest of the bones in your hand. Hell, maybe I'll even set your fingers for you."

Kay was back to being quiet and obedient, getting to his feet and turning around. He hesitated before opening the door with his shoulder and stepping inside. The bathroom was nothing special, a shower, sink and toilet and one wall-mounted cabinet. Truly nothing extravagant. Kay spun around as the door slammed and locked behind him.

"I'll let you out in a couple of hours," he heard from the other side of the door.

Normally, he would protest, but after earlier, he didn't dare. It took him a while, but eventually Kay fumbled around and found the light switch. One more glance around the bathroom and he noticed a towel hung up on the back of the door.

He reluctantly pulled it from the hook, just holding it for a moment in his uninjured hand as his attention settled on the shower.

As much as he despised the idea of showering when Isaac could walk in at any moment, even Kay could recognise that he needed one desperately. It had been weeks, probably. It felt like weeks. Weeks without a change of clothes or a shower.

He felt disgusting and the only way that would improve was if he did shower.

Eventually, he began to pull his shirt off. No matter how delicate he was, he managed to catch the fabric on his new injuries. Kay cursed under his breath at the sudden stinging, but that was all he could afford as he reached out to turn the shower on with his non-dominant hand.

The cool water was almost a respite from everything. As it streamed over his body, he was finally able to relax some. Isaac wouldn't be back for a while. He had time.