Dix-Sept

Halden dropped the newspaper onto his coffee table, a look of exasperation sweeping through his eyes. Fucking Kay. This was not how it was supposed to go. He was supposed to be dead already – dead for years now. That was what Halden had been told. And Halden refused to be made a fool of.

Nobody had made a fool of him in years, but this – Kay being released without the ransom payment was an embarrassment. A humiliation to all the work Halden had put into him.

"Isaac," He spoke sharply, attracting the attention of a man who had just walked in the door. "What the fuck is this? Why am I just hearing about my lovely boyfriend coming back from the dead now? Is there something you want to share with me?"

Isaac shrugged, not gracing Halden with a response in any form, instead giving a cursory glance down to the newspaper.

"I want an answer, Isaac. You clearly screwed me over."

Isaac shrugged again, still holding off on giving Halden a verbal response for now. Halden didn't intimidate him – sure, he should, but he didn't. And that fact really got under Halden's skin.

"Enlighten me. What did you gain from him? Why did you not dispose of him like I told you to?"

"Something to do," Isaac responded. "Not often you get to beat the shit out of someone for a little stress relief. But I got rid of him when you asked, just not the way you asked. Shipped him off somewhere, don't know what happened after that."

"You need to learn how to follow my damn instructions if you want to live much longer. Got it?"

"I get it, but don't you appreciate the fact that I was getting some practice in for someone who really mattered? For that ransom you did get? Because that's funded your lifestyle for years now. You should be thanking me," Isaac snapped. "It was that practice that got it to you so damn fast."

"But you let him go without any form of ransom, and that still needs to be made up for. It looks like I gave in, and we both know that I would do no such thing."

"Complain to someone who cares. He was no longer my responsibility the second I had him moved. So complain to someone else about your petty cash."

"Petty fucking cash? It was eighty-million, which we would have gotten if you had done a better job with him. Hm? That family has scandals which follow them everywhere. They wouldn't involve the police of their own accord. You should have known that and known to be more brazen. We lost out because of you, don't think I've forgotten," Halden snapped in response.

"God, get your priorities straight! You washed your hands of him years ago, don't bother dredging it back up."

"Where the fuck is he staying? At home? I want this shit finished and, clearly, everyone else is too incompetent to do it."

"Last I heard, he was at home, doesn't look like it's going well though. You know how that family fight. And Kay was always an arrogant, loudmouthed kid when he was staying with me. Wouldn't surprise me if he still is."

"Staying with you? You say that as if he was a guest."

"He was, and I was a very accommodating host. An entire year I kept him alive. But he won't be staying at home long. Last time he was seen out in public was leaving his dad's company, and he looked pissed."

"Good, that house is a damn fortress. I don't know who needs that many staff, or alarms. We used to trip them all the time, coming in late. I always thought that Kay did it on purpose, just to act out."

"Isn't it more effort than it's worth to track him down?" Isaac asked, momentarily disappearing into the kitchen and coming back with two beers before tossing one to Halden and opening his own. "He clearly doesn't know that you had anything to do with it. He's naïve as anything."

"I don't like to leave things unfinished. Kay is unfinished business, that's all," Halden responded, opening the can and taking a sip. "He's been living on borrowed time since you sent him off. It's time that ends. It's not like he deserves any of it."

Halden leant back on the couch, throwing his arm over the back of it. All he could do now was wait for things to fall apart for Kay. It was inevitable that they would – they always seemed to. Halden thoroughly enjoyed that – enjoyed the chaos and hurt it brought. Every time something fell apart, Kay always seemed to be in the centre of it. That was refreshing, and gave him something to look forward to.

This was just a waiting game for now, and it was one that Halden would win.

There was absolutely no doubt about that. Halden would win and Kay would get what he deserved.