Trente Six / Épilogue

That Summer was the best of Kay's life.

The competition didn't even come close.

He had since moved in with London and Ferris and out of the apartment building. He didn't know how London had made it work, but they'd found somewhere. With payments split three ways, they were able to afford it easily.

Their relationship blossomed over that Summer. Kay and London spent more time together, with Kay helping London study for the Bar Exam. London consistently brushed off the importance of this – he could always sit it again next year, or the year after. He didn't need to qualify right now. But Kay enjoyed helping him.

London's birthday had passed – July 12th – and the three of them had spent it together. Takeout and home baking on the couch while a movie played in the background.

Kay had been the one to fall asleep first, tangled between London and Fido. Tangled up in his happiness – the same happiness he wasn't sure he'd ever deserve.

Ferris was beyond accepting. Kay had expected tensions to rise once they lived together, but the opposite had happened. He and Ferris had grown closer, finding that they had more in common than either of them had initially thought. While Kay couldn't be much less interested in literature, he could listen to Ferris talk about mythology and philosophy for hours on end.

Just because it was new to him, that didn't mean he didn't love to hear his friend speak about it.

Kay had also been teaching Ferris how to play cards. Ferris stuck with it, despite Kay winning at every game they chose.

And London – London would volunteer to do anything either Kay or Ferris wanted to do. Granted, most of his time was spent studying and revising, but he'd iterated more than once that spending time with both Ferris and Kay was important to him.

Despite all of Kay's doubts, he could no longer deny that they worked together.

They were perfect together.

The occasional judgemental comment meant nothing when he could be with London. Just because London had Ferris, that didn't dilute their relationship or happiness.

It didn't matter what other people thought of their relationship. Kay didn't think he would be happier if Ferris wasn't in the picture – it was something he couldn't even imagine.

That August, London had come home nervous one evening with a brown envelope. All three of them had known what was inside and what weight that single envelope held.

London had insisted that someone open the envelope for him – Ferris had done it. Only to read out that London had passed the Bar Exam and instructions on obtaining documentation were coming soon.

After years of struggling to find even a sliver of happiness, things had settled down.

Kay could finally say that he was happy without it being a lie. Tell people that he was in a good place and that he felt good about the future.

It didn't mean that things were no longer a struggle. Enjoying things was still sometimes difficult, and dreamless sleep was elusive, but that meant almost nothing in comparison to the feeling he got from things finally going right.

No matter what his past looked like, his future was impossibly bright and nobody could take that from him.