Quatorze

"Kay! Hey, Kay, we need to talk," Halden caught up to Kay and Kay turned around in surprise.

"Hey, where'd you go?" Kay asked, "I haven't seen you in like a week!"

Kay turned around completely, wrapping his arms around his fiancé and pushing himself up on his toes so he was tall enough to kiss Halden's nose. He pulled away with a smile, which left his face the moment he opened his eyes and looked at Halden's face.

"Babe? What's wrong?" Kay lowered himself, looking up at his fiancé nervously.

"I had to go underground for a little while, it wasn't anything. I stayed with a friend. But I'm gonna need to take a trip for a while, I fucked up, Kay."

"What do you mean? I don't get it, what are you talking about?"

"I'm saying I've pissed off a really important group of people, and I need to leave by Friday, I love you, though. I need you to understand that I'm not breaking up with you because I want to."

"You – what? You're leaving me?" Kay asked, shaking his head and widening his eyes slightly. "You can't leave me, please? What can I do to help?"

"Nothing, Kay, I've got to go. I've got a place in Salem –"

"Salem? That's the other side of the country!"

"Kay, shh, shh, I know, I can't help it, I have to go," Halden looked down at Kay who was still shaking his head, before taking his fiancé's hands tightly. "I know, I'm sorry, if it's safe again, I'll come back, though."

Kay pulled his hands away violently and took a step back, more upset than he'd like to admit.

"Kay, listen to me, I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't have a choice! Do you think I want to hurt you?"

"Does it matter what I think?"

"Yes! Yes, it matters! This is my fault, I owe some very important – dangerous – people some money and favours, and I can't get out of it. Not everything is designed to be torture for you, Kay!"

Kay nodded, but didn't know what to do. With his hands. With his feet. Where to look. Until it hit him.

"I'll go with you. Oregon is – it's nice. We can move to Salem, I don't mind," he assured Halden quickly. "I'll go with you. I love you, I'll go anywhere for you. If I come with you, can we stay together? Please?" Kay stammered over his words, finally working up the strength to retake Halden's hands in his own. "You don't have to run away alone, please let me come?" He looked up at his fiancé, the pleas streaming down his cheeks.

"You want to come?" Halden looked surprised, but nodded almost instantly. He pulled his hands away from Kay and delved in his pocket for a pen and scrap of paper. He scrawled something on the back before handing it to Kay. "Meet me there, it's an address in North Washington. Thursday night, before eleven, with everything you need, we'll go together, I love you."

Kay didn't have time to respond before Halden had moved past him, checking over his shoulder several times before he settled into a faster pace. Intruding further wouldn't be fair on his fiancé. For a few minutes, he stood in the centre of the sidewalk, absolutely stunned, but eventually gathered himself enough to continue walking. He'd be late for school, but that didn't matter. He and Halden were quite literally running away together. It felt like a movie.