Vingt Huit

"I'll do anything. Let you do anything! Please – just leave Halden out of this. Whatever he did, I'm sure that he regrets it!"

Kay spoke quickly, the words frantically spilling out of his mouth.

"Please listen to me! Even if I knew where he was, I wouldn't tell you! I'm just as good. Please leave him out of it –"

Kay's protests continued energetically.

The man standing in front of him just laughed before slapping him across the cheek.

"Yeah, whatever you say, kid."

"No – really. I – I don't care, just leave him alone."

"Do you think he'd do the same for you?" the man scoffed. "I know he's your fiancé, but you can't seriously believe he's worth you throwing your life away for."

Kay didn't know how to respond. He had to believe that. Otherwise, all of this was pointless. Everything so far hadn't been worth enduring.

Heat on his cheek. Another slap.

"You really think the best of him, don't you? It's sad, really."

Kay shrugged. Then doubled over. A punch to the gut.

But he just stood there. Like he had the previous day. And the day before.

"You know that he told us where you would be, don't you?"

"He wouldn't. You're screwing with me."

"Whatever you want to believe," the man in front of him shrugged. "You will tell me where he's going, even if you're stubborn. That doesn't immediately make you immune. You've been here a week. Your attitude will change."

"Immune?"

"I've got a friend. He's... less reserved in his techniques, shall we say?"

Kay glanced upwards slightly, not speaking for some time before finally opening his mouth.

"Halden is important to me. If I have to put up with being shoved around a bit to protect him, I will."