Chapter 6: Nemesis

27th September 1998

Apartment Complex, Raccoon City

U.S.S. Delta Team / Wolfpack

Karena "LUPO" LesProux

It's been a day since our last com with Command. They order us to stand by and wait for a mission update. But since the city hall, none so far. Ghost is trying to reach them every few hours, but nothing comes in. He then orders us to take shelter in a nearby building. Along the way, I found an assault rifle, AR-15 near one of the SWAT corpses we come across. I gave it to Ghost since his last weapon got ripe in half. We found a restaurant that could give us a tactical advantage over the Spec Ops and the infected. So, we secure the building and we stay there until Command gave us further instruction. Spectre is on the roof watching the premier, Bertha guarding the back door, Four Eyes are in the kitchen trying to find some food, Vector is taking his position on the front, and the other take turn to rest.

I see Ghost remove his gas mask and put it on the table before he sits on the chair near him. I can see regret and anger all over his face, even though he tried to hide it. It's written all over him. I decide to join in, taking a seat in front of him.

"You look like a mess." I open up the conversation.

He looks up at me and gave me a weak smile, "and you look beautiful as ever." he jokes.

"Want to talk about it?"

He shakes his head in no, "Nah... I'm fine."

"Fine? You don't look like one."

"Really?"

"I don't really know if the others can tell. But you can't fool me."

He chuckled, "And here I am thinking no one will noticing it." He then leans on his chair.

"It must be about Hector isn't it?" I asked worried about him. Hector was his best friend and now he lost him. I know that he felt guilty about his death.

He stays silent for a moment before answering my question, "Maybe... But you know that there is no place for that in our line of work. Some die, some will live. They who die will rest and they who survive will continue their mission."

"... Your right."

He furrowed his eyebrows and turn serious, "When Hector die. We made a mistake... No, I made a mistake."

"A mistake?"

He nods, "Letting Nicholai live. It's mainly on me. My guts tell me to just shoot him at the moment we saw that shit! But I chose not to. Word of advice... next time your guts tell you to do something. Just do it. Otherwise, I have a feeling that some of us will follow Hector's footsteps."

What he said is true, in this kind of situation, it's best to stick with your guts. But one thing that budges me. Why did he tell me all of this? It's not like there's anything wrong with it. It's just, in the end. The one who will make a call for this team is him. And now it's just like he's telling me that I'm the one who's going to do that.

"You're giving me this advice. Is this have something to do with the reason you told me to take over if anything happened?"

Ghost looks around, watching over the others. As if he's making sure that no one is going to eavesdropping on our conversation. When he sees that it was clear. His eyes turn to me again. "Karena, listen. Do whatever it takes to get out of this place. Alive. That's an order!" He whispers.

"You're saying that as if you're not going to come with us."

"Maybe... everything is based on the circumstances."