Chapter 14

"Wh—What are you saying, Hyeoki? Please don't talk like that." Se Ri whimpers upon hearing Jeong Hyeok's words. Her forehead damp with sweat beads, her belly churning with anxiety and her breaths come in pauses, making her heartbeat loud enough to be audible to her.

"Se Ri. Don't—Don't look for me." Jeong Hyeok's voice gets low. "I'm leaving with her. Take care of yourself."

"That bitch! Is she blackmailing you? Don't listen to her. Come home. I'll get rid of her." She somehow gathers her voice.

"No. It's not her. It's me." His voice shivers. "I like her. Don't look for me."

"I know you don't like her. I know she's threatening you." Se Ri's not believing his words, her fury overcoming the tension burning her insides.

"She's not. I'm going." He takes a deep breath. "Goodbye, Se Ri. Stay safe." He hangs up, having said that.

"Yeoboyeobo—Hyeoki." Se Ri is still on her phone. "Hyeoki. Don't do this, please. Yeobo." She calls back on his number with her shaky hands, her fingers unable to find a grip on the phone, only to hear the intercom say it's turned off. Unable to understand what's going on, whether it's a nightmare or reality, she simply sits there, looking at her phone. Her eyes are pools of tears and her belly, an orifice which is burning her from the inside and driving her to nausea. 'What did just happen? It is a bad bad dream. Someone wake me up, please. Se Ri, Se Ri, wake up.' Her inner thoughts are talking.

Suddenly, her eyes move from her phone to her wrist

Suddenly, her eyes move from her phone to her wrist. She's wearing the cuff Jeong Hyeok gave her in Sigriswil as he told her he'll always be there for her. 'Oettke! Hyeoki, what are you doing? Why are you leaving me? Why are you not telling me anything? You told me you won't leave me, but now you say you're leaving me. How am I supposed to let you go? How am I supposed to find you, Hyeoki, when you won't tell me anything?' Her hands involuntarily touch her tummy and her gaze remains fixed on it, without her even blinking. 'My babies. How can you leave them, Hyeoki? How can you? I know there is something you're not telling me and I know you're lying.'

Her mind, which has now become a messed up labyrinth of thoughts coming from every nerve cell, is making her head throb and unable to find the reason and logic. Just then, out of the corner inside her brain, somewhere, Jeong Hyeok's words, when he gave her the cuff in Sigriswil, echo in her brain. '"I want you to be as strong on your own as you are with me. Even when I'm not around, I want you to understand that I'm with you all the time."

"You're with me, Hyeoki. Yes, you're with me. I need to find you and for that, I have to be strong." She speaks to herself. "But how?"

Her subconscious is leading her now. 'He said he's leaving with Delia, that only means she's threatened him to say that to me. What could she have possibly done that Jeong Hyeok gave up to her demand?' Her gaze keeps running around the living room as her mind is busy doing calculations. 'Think hard, Se Ri. Think hard.' While she's still poking and prodding inside her neurons, she sees Martha standing in the kitchen doorway. Se Ri almost has an intuition that she's lurking, her eyes being more attentive to Se Ri, today. She even insisted on making Mujigae-tteok today, of all days. 'Did she deliberately make such a time-consuming dish, only to be around me? Could it be—she's a part of all this?' Se Ri is getting suspicious of her. 'I need to assemble the comrades now. I have to find the truth and more than that, I have to find Hyeoki.' Her inner voice is talking to her.