chapter one

ava

I'm walking with Chloe and a few of her other friends to class, weaving through older students who glare at anyone who passes them. Our group just huddles close to each other and moves in a pack through the hallway. I'm not sure what Chloe's talking about right now but she is chattering excitably, wringing her hands back and forth, the slick ponytail atop her head swishing to and fro.

The signature powder blue ribbon tied to her hair makes my mind wander to a pair of eyes that I daydream of wistfully. Eyes such a bright, clear blue they almost shimmer. Although I doubt that the boy who they belong to would be thrilled with that description.

I let my own gaze scan the busy corridor almost hopefully, searching for the boy. My heart feels like it stops when my own green eyes lock on a tall, blond figure walking through the crowd. Just like that my heartbeat picks up again until it's the only thing I can hear and it turns into a dull throbbing in my ears.

It feels like years since I've seen him. The ten year old boy who lives two houses over.

Without a second thought, I make my way towards him, not hearing the worried calls of my friends, just pushing my way through the bodies. It's weird. It's like I'm floating along. It's the same feeling as when you run and run for ages, until you can't feel your legs hurtling forward, neither your breath leave your aching chest. It's euphoric, just you and the open air as you just run.

He probably doesn't even remember who I am. I was there before Conway and his mates. Even before McGill and Larson. That was so long ago, I'm surprised I even recall it. There's a feeling that I can't shake when I think about him though. A feeling that he does remember. That all those warm, summer days with me doing back handsprings on his front yard's freshly mown grass were not forgotten.

We'd been so small. The memory can't help but make me feel warm inside.

When I finally get close to him, his name leaves my throat before I can think to stop or filter it, calling out to him crystal clear to the entire hallway.

"Hey Banks!"

My sneakers thumped against the pavement in a steady rhythm as I run towards the boy until he falls into step beside me, allowing my pace to slow down again.

"Colby?" The boy acknowledges me with a questionable glance, not clued in on why I was around him.

It was strange for us to be this way. We used to be so close back in middle school. We made our way through the years with me practicing my cheer tumbles on his front lawn whilst he shot puck after puck into a makeshift goal whilst tearing around on roller skates.

We were truly two halves of the same brain. Wherever one went the other would always follow.

All of that changed when we both slowly drifted apart and then all at once he was so caught up with his hockey team 'The Hawks' and I was consumed with my time at Edina Cheer.

Our friendship groups grew further and further apart until he just became Adam Banks from a few houses over. We barely kept in touch apart from a wave or short greeting in the hallway. From what I had heard he had been cut from The Hawks and sent to play for District 5 since our area of houses fell into that place.

When I heard about that I knew for a fact he wouldn't be taking it well. That team meant a lot to him. The amount of times he'd rant to me about his coach and his other teammates, it had drove me insane. McGill this. Coach that.

But now I'd love to listen to him ramble for hours.

"So uh...you still in cheer?"

The question sharpens my mind's blurriness and I let out a sharp breath, tucking a strand of brown hair behind my ear.

"Yeah, still doing competitive. Thinking of checking out school cheer as well, just have to see how my schedule checks out." I reply, shooting a glance his way, getting a little caught up in how blue his eyes were. They almost shone and it caught me woefully off guard.

"Maybe you'll cheer at some of my games." Adam says and I turn to see a grin on his face, mine automatically mirroring his expression.

"Maybe so. How are the Ducks?"

He smiles and adjusts the bag on his left shoulder. "They're good, sure you know we're all here at Eden Hall on scholarship."

I laugh and look up at him. "How could I not? Your introduction was very entertaining." I tease.

He gasps in mock outrage and clasps a hand to his chest like a dork. "How dare you?"

I giggle and cover my mouth with a hand, eyes crinkling shut.

"Aww Banksie."

"Don't Banksie me."

I pout. "What's the problem Banksie?"

He gives me a look which makes me stifle another giggle.

"Thought you only called me Shooter."

"That was when you actually scored!" I let out a laugh as soon as the words leave my mouth, eyes lighting up as my laughter turns hysterical at Adam's facial expression. The pure shock and indignance on his face makes me almost keel over, people giving me questionable glances as they pass.

Adam looks around and smiles in shock.

"I'll have you know I'm the main scorer. You haven't been to one of my games in forever, therefore your opinion is irrelevant darling."

I look up at him, puffing my hair out of my face. "D-did you just call me darling," He just shrugs and grins. "You haven't called me that in ages."

"I know." He stops walking and I realise the bell is just about to ring and I'm outside my languages classroom.

"This is your class, right?" Adam focused on my face and I nod in confusion to how he knows this. He must've seen me go into it or something, I don't know.

I just look up at the boy who's so much taller than me. "I'll see you around Banksie."

He nods and pats my head. "See you, Ava." Adam turns and heads off, leaving me standing at the door, holding my head completely spaced out.

There's noises from inside the classroom. "Anytime today, Miss Colby."

My head whips around and heat scorches across my cheeks as I scurry into the classroom, thoughts never wandering from Adam Banks.