chapter thirteen

adam banks

The school day's over, home just under an hour tops away. I swap books in and out of my locker, ducking down to zip up my bag.

Just as I go to straighten up, my locker door is slammed shut and I come face to face with a seething Charlie Conway.

"What the hell man!" Charlie growls, screwing up his fist before whacking my locker, making me flinch.

"Hello to you too. What's up?"

Charlie sneers at me and I can't for the love of god think of why he's mad at me. I hadn't spoken to him since last Friday's game, our schedules aren't that similar anymore. Is that why he's mad?

"Don't 'what's up' me, cake eater."

The curly haired boy's tone is bitter and I can't help but be taken aback by it.

"You and your Varsity pals must think you're hot shit, huh?"

I roll my eyes, he's ticking me off now.

"Man, I have no idea what you're talking about."

I stare him down before he huffs.

"Friday's game. After it ended we all had to get changed into wet clothes."

He can't be serious.

"Charlie, I didn't do any of that. Even ask Ava. They dumped me off after the second period, trust me man, I didn't know."

There's uncertainty on Charlie's face now as he backs up a little, a small part of his guard being brought back down. I go to say some more but Charlie has chosen to ignore me now, poking the inside of his cheek with his tongue before he turns around.

"Whatever."

I watch the boy walk off, letting out a sigh of relief. I mean, he's still angry but at least he knows I wasn't part of it. If he believes me anyway. I sling my bag over my shoulder and head out of the science block, the sun immediately stinging my eyes.

Eden Hall's campus is busy, paths full of students heading off in different directions. Just out past the double doors I walked out of is where the stone path comes into view. It forks off in three directions, the left leading to the English block, the right to the gymnasium and sports fields, whilst straight ahead leads to the school gates along with where all the school buses park up.

I head straight, the buses coming more and more into focus. It's been ages since I've been on one but both my parents are busy, the note they'd left on the fridge tacked up with a magnet telling me to get the bus home.

When I make it over to the buses, I scan them all, not having a clue which one I'm meant to get on. There's five of them, all completely identical. How am I meant to know? Mom never said-

"Banksie!"

My eyes flicker down a fraction and meet a pair of glistening green eyes, looking up at me expectantly. Her hair is in a braid today, complicated twists with two pieces left out to frame her face.

Out of habit, she bites her bottom lip just slightly and I must've forgotten how to function because now my attention is solely on her lips. They're really shiny, almost dewy and I can just tell they'd taste like watermelon...