chapter seven

adam

So first practice pretty much sucked. I'm not that fond of Coach Orion and needless to say, neither were the rest of us. We all stumble tiredly into the locker room and I thump down onto the bench by my locker, tearing off my pads.

Charlie storms in moody, throwing his hands up in the air. "I will teach you to play like what? Starts with a 'w'!"

"Wussies." Fulton pipes up from in front of me, leaning back as he catches his breath.

"That's right. Wussies on offence and defence!"

Just as Charlie plops down beside me, Coach Orion bursts into the room, carrying a sheet of paper. I suck in a sharp breath through my teeth.

Close one there, Spazway.

"Eden Hall Academy requires you to maintain a 'C' grade average in order to play. I believe that's a bad rule."

Some of us start celebrating and cheering him before he cuts us off.

"I don't want any 'C' players on my team. I want B's or better or you're riding the pine pony. Now you got fifteen minutes after each practice to clear this room. You've got homework to do."

Coach tacks the sheet previously in his hands to a bulletin board across the room.

"Oh, and stay away from Varsity until we play them in the JV-Varsity Showdown. You got that?"

We all nod in agreement before watching as he storms out of the room, slamming the door behind him.

Jeez. Way to be a drama queen.

There's mumbles and grumbles from all around the room until Connie's voice fills the locker room.

"Hey look! Coach Orion posted our positions."

I rise from the bench and head over with everyone else, waiting for them all to read it and then disperse.

"Third line? That's a major diss."

I move forward to the board, scanning the list.

"I'm not even listed!" I say in disbelief, eyebrows furrowing.

Connie moves beside me. "No, look there you are. Adam Banks, third line center...varsity?"

I exchange looks of confusion with the girl.

"I made Varsity?" I puff out a shocked breath, moving away back to my bench.

I stuff my pads in my locker, throwing on my clothes from before. I'll shower when I get home, the ones in here sort of creep me out.

Goldberg's went off on a speel, sounding presumptuous as per usual. He's cut off from his chatter by Averman.

"You're riding the pine pony, pal." The redhead snickers, reading the list again.

Goldberg just laughs. "Yeah, yeah very funny."

Averman pushes his glasses up his nose. "I'm being serious. Julie's one, you're two."