chapter five

adam

adam

By the time lunch comes around I'm desperate to get out on the ice and practice. The amount of schoolwork this school sets is off the charts.

I walk in with Charlie and Averman, grabbing a lunch tray and lining up to get served. Some of the team are already sat down, easily snagging a table to take dibs on. Makes my life easier I guess.

"Wonder what the new coach will be like. I still can't get over this whole thing! Bombay not coaching? What's next, the end of the Ducks?" Charlie rants, smiling cautiously as a cafeteria lady places food on his awaiting tray.

I hum in response, too deep inside my thoughts to focus on what he's rambling on about. Number one on the mind's agenda is hockey. We're all here on scholarship, that means we're going to have to keep a consistent work ethic. Something I worry some of my teammates don't have. Take Goldberg for example, the boy hasn't trained all of the off-season. He can barely keep up when he is practicing, never mind with months of neglect from skating.

Julie's way more skilled than Goldberg in so many ways, yet Bombay barely put her on the entire Goodwill Games. It didn't make sense.

Second on the list is Ava. None of our classes have overlapped since homeroom and I won't lie about the fact I'm worried about her. She's walking around with a broken shoulder through countless packed hallways. I'm surprised she was even cleared to go to school. Knowing Colby though, she probably would've turned up to Eden Hall no matter what the doctors had said to her in advance.

Yeah, that's her alright.

A smirk grows on my face at the thought of the girl.

"Hey Banks, what's with the grin? You look like the cheshire cat." I hear the voice of Connie Moreau before I turn around and see her, clutching onto Guy Germaine's hand. I make a face at her and she just laughs, ruffling my hair.

We all sit down at the table Luis, Goldberg, Jesse, Julie and Dwayne had snagged before the rest of us arrived. I sit down between Charlie and Guy, listening in on everyone's mindless chatter. That is, until I catch a glimpse of a certain someone's brunette hair bouncing wildly as they walk.

She's carrying a brown paper bag in her left hand, the other tucked carefully into her jean jacket as she walks in alone. This makes me frown, surely one of her abundance of friends should be with her right now. There's a faraway look on her face as she scans the cafeteria for an open seat, scaring me half to death when she catches me in the act of staring her down.

Her unoccupied hand is pulled out of her pocket and she winces a little before hiding it, giving me a small wave. I mimic her and can feel my body moving, lifting, rising to go to her-