chapter six

ava

The final bell rings and I have to resist the urge to surge out of the classroom, knowing for a fact I'd be pushed and shoved about like a rag doll if I did. It's not like I had anyone to rush out to anyway. Mom and Dad are still in work till later on, which meant I'd be walking home.

I slowly pack my stuff up as the room empties in seconds, even the teacher long gone, which really surprised me. There's loud chatter from the busy hallways once I get up and leave, sighing in relief at the thinned out crowd. It's easy to walk through with nobody shimmying past, usually not even mumbling words of apology whilst they're at it.

Soon enough, I'm in front of my locker. I twist the lock's combination and it clicks, the door swinging open on it's hinge. I swap books, replacing them with the ones I need before grabbing my jean jacket and shrugging it on. I'd stuffed it in my locker between classes because it was bugging me.

With all that out of the way, I shut my locker and head down the hallway again, excited to get home. A few turns and I'm just about to push open the double doors with my left side whenever a rowdy group of boys carrying hockey gear bustle through, making me falter back, almost falling over.

I must be too small for those assholes to notice because they continue forward, taking no heed to me.

"Hey, assholes!" I yell, brushing myself off as I try and stand straighter, glaring at the back of their grinning heads.

A few turn around and take in my demeanor before smirking and looking to each other in amusement. They're all a lot older, probably seniors. They're clad in hockey jerseys; black, white and red colours with 'Warriors' emblazoned across the front.

"What's up sweetheart." The boy in the middle of them all sneers, arching up an eyebrow condescendingly.

I mimic his expressions, tilting my chin up to glare at him.

"Don't call me that dickface," My gaze catches on a patched C on his jersey. So this is the captain huh? "You and your team of jerkwads almost knocked me over."

He gazes blankly at me. "Oh I'm sorry did my team knock your little sensitive self over? Maybe you should've stayed out of the way then pipsqueak." He mocks me before turning around, leading his group of goons away.

What jerks, honestly.

At least the Ducks don't act like that. If they did I wouldn't let Adam here the end of it. But I know I wouldn't ever have to. That entire team was nothing but kind souls and I'm glad that Adam has a group of people like that around him so much. His old team were far too similar to Varsity and I'd never liked that. They messed with Adam's head too much, turned him into someone he and I both knew wasn't who he was at all.

Oh my god! His first practice is today, I wonder how it's going. I step into the open air, admiring the brick buildings of Eden Hall's campus. I've got to give it to them, the school's nice. Sure, a lot of the students were snobby and stuck up but my friends were here.

The afternoon light makes everything in it's path bask in a warm feeling, immediately lifting my mood, thoughts of the Varsity team pushed to the back of my mind. Sneakers hit the pavement as I take my time, not in a rush to get home. I pass a block of classrooms before I halt in front of the sports hall. The doors stood wide open, my ears catching bursts of yelled orders and loud thumps.