chapter eleven

adam

The rink is packed to the brim with students, the marching band in full swing as I follow along idly behind Varsity, the collar of my red letter-man jacket hot against my neck. Everywhere I look I see the subtle glances of people who look at me as if I was the scum of the earth. It took my everything not to go up to them and start something.

Scooter picks up on my almost movements and grabs my shoulder, yanking me along. God, I feel like a puppet on a string. We all take our seats and I look out at the ice, all the JV team taking turns shooting at Goldberg. I let out a sigh of relief when they actually seem to be holding it together. I shoot Riley a proud glance before quickly flitting it away whenever he cracks his knuckles menacingly.

Okay, maybe not.

The announcer picks up and a kid's voice rings out through the rink, beginning his opening spiel.

"It appears to me that the entire school has turned out to see...the once Mighty Ducks, well uh rather the Eden Hall Warriors... do battle with the Blake freshman Bears!"

The kid sounds squeaky and I'm sort of confused at to what exactly he's doing in high school. The poor dude's persistent though, something tells me he's going to be a nuisance to listen to for the next hour of play.

Rick leans down close to my ear and I tense up. "Looking forward to seeing your little duckies get beat to a pulp, ain't that right boys."

There's murmurs of agreement from the team as I ignore him, fists clenching in my lap. Rick scoffs and pushes my head forward before leaning back in his seat. Such an idiot.

The two teams finish their laps as the whistle blows and they make their way to the benches as Coach O'Reilly calls them over, the whole team gathering in. I've no idea what they're saying but seeing everyone together without me pulls at my heartstrings. I came to this school to play with the Ducks, not some dumb Varsity team.

When I even so much as mentioned it to Dad he just shrugged it off and glared at me. Started off on this whole rant of how they'd finally noticed my potential, blah blah blah, first step into greatness and whatever else. With all that said though, I knew I couldn't let him down. He'd be gunning for my head if I did.

I focus on the match again and frown at the dejected looks on their faces. Charlie looks like he's about to explode with Averman and Fulton on either side of him. Everyone takes their positions, Charlie taking the face-off.

He gets it and skates off towards the offensive zone, dodging and twisting through the Bears defense. He gets caught up with one of the Blake players but ends up scoring, the whistle blows and the siren blares out.

"Yeah!" I cheer, jumping to my feet clapping before I'm yanked down by Riley's hands, a stern look on his face. My smile drops as I sit back down.

Man, can't I even cheer for the school's team? What am I meant to do, cheer for the goddamn Bears?

There's a shake to my shoulder and I swivel around, jumping at the sight of Mindy.

"Look kid, leave the celebrations to your little cheerleader friend alright?" She says pointedly. I take in the disdain on her face.

"Why are you acting so high and mighty?You're a cheerleader too, aren't you?" I retort defensively.

"She didn't turn up to tryouts, obviously she mustn't be any good." Mindy drawls, checking her nails listlessly.