chapter sixteen

ava colby

I didn't expect to be almost mowed down by a really tall jock in hockey gear, minus the pads, but that didn't stop the fact that I was sprawled out on the ground yet again, my lower back sore from the impact.

"Colby, are you okay?"

Of course it's him. Adam Banks, who can't seem to stay away for longer than a few hours before he pops up back into my head and in this case, my personal space as he helps me up, a long string of apologies tumbling out of his lips.

"I know I'm clumsy and all but this is silly." I say as I pat the dust off of my jeans, hands reaching up to make sure my bandana is still in place on my hair.

"Is your arm okay?" Adam asks me worriedly.

I nod. "What are you doing in your kit?"

He laughs sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck. "Oh, uhh, the Ducks and Varsity have this prank thing going on. They froze our lockers with liquid nitrogen. Turned all our stuff rock solid."

I gasp in shock, looking just behind Adam at the clump of Varsity players moping about the corridor, dressed in gym shorts and their hockey jerseys. They're definitely still sweaty from practice. That's the thing with having morning practices I guess, luckily quite a few of them have spare jackets and whatever else in their lockers.

"Do you have spare stuff to change? You'll get yelled at by teachers for sure if you walk around like that all day." I say matter of factly, smiling softly at the boy.

He nods and goes to say something but his voice wavers unexpectedly. I frown in confusion before an arm wraps tightly around my shoulder and a head of auburn curls springs up beside me.

"If it isn't the lovebirds." Chloe teases and my cheeks burn red in embarrassment, looking to Adam who's ears have tinged the same hue as mine, avoiding my eyes.

"Aww, you two are cute as a button. Adam, you have the best friend stamp of approval. Might I suggest growing a pair and asking her ou-"

Before she can say anything else I slap my right hand over her mouth and say goodbye sheepishly to Adam, steering Chloe away. When he's out of sight, I let go and she bursts into a fit of giggles, her powder blue ribbon bouncing amidst her half up-half down hair.

I just realise Chloe's in her cheerleading outfit, the red and white looks great on her. A part of me wishes I was wearing it alongside her whilst the other doesn't know if I could stand the girls on the team. If I had to so much as breathe near that Mindy girl...I think I'd rather eat mat again.

"Adam is really good looking isn't he? With his middle part and that smile, no wonder you're all blushy!"

I glare at her but she just continues gushing, holding onto my hands tightly as she talks. A part of me wants her to keep talking, that maybe if she keeps saying all these things that it'll make them come true, that Adam does like me, that he thinks I'm just as pretty as I find him cute.

But that's all so upsettingly untrue it makes my heart ache, clinging to Chloe's hands desperately. Why did I have to suffer through the longing and the moping whilst Adam just when about his day, thoughts of me not even brushing his mind.

"Oh come on home skillet, don't be so mopey." Chloe whines, trying her best to snap me out of it. "You can't be all sad, you're Ava Colby!"

I let out a small laugh at that and the redhead cheers, spurring me on down the halls.

I'm able to not wear my sling now which is great, the thing made everything uncomfortable and really got in my way. I was a little sad to see it go though, since all the messages aren't on my arm all the time for me to read.

Chloe tugs me into a group of girls who are chattering amongst themselves, all clad in the Eden Hall cheerleading uniform, hair either tied back in slick ponytails or put in half up, half down styles, ruby red ribbons gracing the tops of every girl's head.

A strong wave of expensive perfumes and hair products meets my nose and it almost makes me a little woozy, fighting back the urge to crinkle my nose.

"Ava, this is Sadie and Lily." Chloe introduces two of the cheerleaders to me who both look identical, tanned skin and honey blonde hair.

"Nice to meet you." I say with a smile, which falters whenever there's no reply, leaving me standing awkwardly.

They don't acknowledge me at all, continuing to talk to Chloe avidly, matching ponytails swishing in sync. I purse my lips and look down to the floor, wanting it to swallow me up. Maybe drop me home whilst it's at it.

They're talking about some practice and how Chloe's attendance was mandatory. Weren't all their practices mandatory? What type of cheerleading squad was this?

I've never been so grateful for a school bell to ring in all my life, steering Chloe without any hesitation, not even bothering to be my usual nice self and say goodbye. I didn't want to be near them, they were rude. Too many years of stuck up girls have brought me down and I'm not about to associate with another pair.

"Ava, I didn't think they would do that, I'm sorry," Chloe goes to say more but I shake it off, ignoring her woeful eyes.

"It's not a big deal, they're too up themselves to what's going on anyway."

She stares at me for a good while and my face gets warm from how intense she's being. Chloe's so close that I can smell the vanilla spray she always has present on her body.

Suddenly she reaches up to the top of her head and unravels her ribbon before grabbing my wrist and tying it in a bow tightly. The gesture is small and sweet, in a way that makes my head go fuzzy.

"You've got this 'Colbs, you hear me?" The redhead says softly and I nod, eyes watering in the corners which makes me want to bury my head in my hands.

Why do I have to be so emotional, all she did was tie a ribbon on your wrist.

Without waiting for a response, she joins up with the cheerleaders again as they walk past, waving to me quickly.

Then I'm in the bustling corridor, surrounded by people but still feeling alone.