chapter twelve

ava

"Alright, for homework I want you all to analyse Shakespeare's Sonnet 116 in relation to context and the way love is portrayed. Dive deep by darlings, you are dismissed."

Miss Dillon finishes up with a flourish, hands raised above her head as she looks out at us all. The bell rings and everyone hurriedly packs their bags before departing from the English classroom, chatter loud and rowdy.

I slip out of my seat and push in my chair softly, mind wandering to what's for lunch. I'm halfway out the door, fantasising about grilled cheese sandwiches whenever Miss Dillon's rather shrill voice fills my ears and I swivel on my heel.

"Miss Colby! Ava-oh good you've heard me."

Contrary to popular belief, Miss Dillon was a nice woman. Sure, she may be a little eccentric but she's the type of teacher who you just love. Miss Dillon let's us joke around and in turn we do her homework. She has our respect, so therefore we have hers.

Something about the multi-coloured wholly cardigans she wore, no matter what the weather was, really gave me a sense of comfort. I've only known the woman a few weeks at Eden Hall but I can already tell she's going to be one of my favourite teachers in this godforsaken building.

"Hi Miss Dillon, have I done something wrong?"

This makes the woman break into laughter, rewrapping her cardigan round her lean frame. I can just see the tip of a dangerously well-sharpened pencil jutting out of her messy bun and I have half a mind to tell her about it.

"Oh on the contrary sweetheart! No, I called you back because I have a proposition for you."

This perks my attention and I straighten up, running a hand through my hair.

"You have a talent for writing dear. Perhaps you haven't heard that one a lot but your recent pieces have really revealed that to me."

Her words are dripping in amazement and I can't help but chuckle warily at her.

"Must be the excessive time on my hands, I guess!" I muse, pursing my lips before staring down at my feet.

Miss Dillon smiles, the small gap between her two front teeth poking through before she continues talking.

"So...there's an open slot on the school newspaper. It's the sports section, the kid running it before literally moved states like a week ago! I was wondering if you'd wanna take up the role?"

I'm speechless. What do I know about sport? I mean other than cheerleading of course. This is absurd.

Miss Dillon must see my gaping expression because she starts flapping her arms about like a parakeet, eyes wide.

"Come on kiddo! This'll be great for you, y'know something to fill the void until your arm's back in tip top shape? Even just one article and if you don't like it you can quit and I'll find someone else."

With those words I stop and think, weighing out all the probabilities. I would have something to keep me busy I suppose...but how would my friends react to me joining the newsletter? I might as well give it a shot, like she said it's just one article.

A moment passes, Miss Dillon looking on at me with eager eyes until I nod my head in agreement and she claps her hands together with joy.

"Brilliant! If you try and find Maisie Richards, she's the editor you see, she'll give you the outline on what your articles supposed to be on. If I remember right, the boy who was working on it before wanted it to be about the new JV team that just joined."