chapter nine

adam

My first Varsity practice was the most confusing, life draining hell I've ever experienced. Okay. Maybe it wasn't that extreme but it sure felt like it. It was like the whole team was trying to suss me out to see if I was going to betray their secrets or something, I don't even know.

Either way it was way too intense for my liking and if Coach saw anything, he sure didn't say. My Dad picked me up as per usual and asked me how it all went. I had faked a grin and said it went alright. He didn't dive deeper into it.

Now I was sat in Mickey's Diner with the rest of the Ducks, a basket of fries in front of me as I pick through them. Connie's trying to help Guy with homework across the booth, Averman and Charlie are grabbing sodas, Fulton's busy chatting up some poor girl from across the diner and Julie is nowhere to be seen.

"I'm really not looking forward to the game on Friday man." Averman sighs as he slides back into the booth beside me, Charlie flanked at his side.

"Why? I mean, surely we're gonna destroy them twerps!" Fulton calls out, a cocky grin spread across his face. "We might be down a Bash Brother but that doesn't mean we can't still dominate!"

Charlie grins at him and slaps a hand on the boy's shoulder. "Exactly! We're gonna win, don't you worry Averman."

I glance over at Averman, who pushes his glasses up his nose, still looking nervous.

"What if we don't? What then? I mean, we're here on scholarship. If we mess up, who knows what they'll do to us."

Connie and Guy join the conversation, Guy's homework shoved back into his bag and forgotten about.

"Come on Averman! It'll be fine, alright?" Guy tries to persuade him, throwing an arm loosely around Connie's shoulders. "And if it doesn't I'll let you punch me right in the face, how 'bout that?"

Fulton scoffs. "Good one, no offence to you Averman man but I don't think you could even swing hard enough."

Averman smiles sarcastically before fake lunging at him, making everyone at the booth laugh, including myself.

I chuck a few fries at them. "Hey, you goons. Quit it or the next thing you'll know we'll be kicked out like last time."

There's a chorus of agreements and everyone slips back into idle chatter, Julie coming back from what I guess was the bathroom and slides into the booth beside Connie.

"What'd I miss?" The blonde quips, stealing one of my fries from across the table. I glare at her and she just smirks, grinning cheekily at me.

"Don't worry, not much." Connie informs her.

"Just Averman and Fulton being idiots, so...your average conversation." Goldberg pipes up.

The boys and I launch into a conversation about the hockey league season whilst the girls roll their eyes and chat amongst each other, giggling and covering their mouths as they talk.

There's a clock in the far wall of the diner and I glance up at it after a good while of talking about the game from a few nights ago. It's close to four o'clock. I know Mom will probably want me home in about half an hour or so but I'll wait here until then.