chapter four

ava

ava

The pain is sickening. It shreds my inside apart and hangs them out to dry. All because Peter dropped me. I don't understand. That stunt has been done over and over for the past eight weeks. How could he have not caught me? Did he do it on purpose?

No, no that's too far. I saw with my own eyes the absolute horror on his face when I hit the mat. I mean, I could also see the pure, unadulterated terror from the fact Coach Lina looked like she was going to snap his neck but that's beside the point.

Damn, my shoulder hurts so bad. You'd think that the sheer amount of painkillers they gave me would've kicked in but it's been hours since I was given them and the only thing I've gained is nausea.

God, I'm gonna kick Peter's ass. The doctor said I'd be out of action for at least six weeks with the most she'd expect me to be out being twelve.

I can't imagine twelve weeks of no cheer. My life is nothing without it. I have such a busy schedule all rotating like clockwork around either Edina Cheer, school and home. That was the only three places I've known for the past few years. I've never missed a practice, haven't even been late ever.

What if I completely lose my flexibility? I mean, it's plausible. I can't move my shoulder at all, meaning my entire right arm is shut down. Jeez, I could barely hang onto my bag when I got out of the car.

All this time indoors is going to drive me insane, I can just tell.

The doctor said I was fit for school today, so I guess I should get up and going. I sit up in bed, throwing the covers back with my left hand. The house id dead silent, meaning I'm going to have to either walk to school like I usually do or somehow catch a bus. Each of the options make me cry a little inside at the thought of doing. Every time I even so much as breathe near my right shoulder, it's like the usual dull throb it invokes turns into a raging pain of stinging.

Luckily, all my books are packed inside my school bag that I need for today. It was already prepped before I even stepped into the car to go to practice yesterday because I know from three years experience how tired I am after a little over two hours of conditioning.

So, all I had to do was get dressed and ready. It usually would have been easily enough done but all I wanted to do right now was search up somewhere how many painkillers was too many. I couldn't die. I have cheer practice.

Alright, I admit that sounded pretty hardcore but who could blame me? It really was my entire life. I'm not sure I can even do anything else apart from fancy flips and poses. Obviously cheerleading is much more than that. All of us put our blood, sweat and tears into what we do. You compete to be the best you possibly can. Any less than that is worth absolutely nothing to your coaches. There's a reason we fear losing. It's ingrained into your head from the moment you step through the gym's threshold. It's taped up on the door frame for all to see.