F O U R

chapter four

season 2 episode 4'ME AND MR JOAD'

season 2 episode 4
'ME AND MR JOAD'

"OKAY WERE TALKING about The Grapes of Wrath, who can give us an overview of what we've read so far?" Mr. Turner asks and Cory raises his hand.

"Cory put your hand down." Natalia whispered softly to her friend, knowing he must be confused.

"Muscle spasm Matthews?" Mr. Turner asks.

''No sir. I'd like to take a shot." he replies.

"Okay everyone give him some room."

"All right, I think the conclusion of the book shows the Joad family's been pretty much destroyed by the greedy farm bosses. But the author's telling us they still have their dignity and they're still gonna fight on," Cory explains.

"Who are you?" Natalia asks impressed and proud at him.

"You're a disgrace to the entire back row." Shawn says shaking his head.

"Okay, this story is about migrant farm workers in the 1930s shows us that powerful people will exploit the powerless until they organize and stand up for their rights." Mr. Turner says and Cory raises his hand again "Yes?"

"Yeah that thing about the 1930s will we have to know dates for the test?" Cory asked.

"The date is not as important as understanding the historical context of the whole struggle for workers." he explained.

Shawn raised his hand, "Excuse me? What page is the historical context on?" He asks as he and Cory open their copies of the books.

"Are you kidding me?" Mr. Turner asks.

"Well we need it for the test." Nat says grabbing her copy of the text.

"No forget the test. I want you to learn about this book to add to your personal knowledge, not to just pass a test. I don't wanna hear anymore about the test?" Cory raises his hand "What?"

"Uh, when is the test?"

"What did I just say?" He said annoyed.

"OK, could I just ask one more question about the.. you know, the written thing you put a grade on that tells our parents we're idiots. There won't be any essays, will there?"

"Matthews, as long as you read the book and open your yap during the class discussion, no test, okay? Now can we possibly return to what is important here?"

The bell rings and the class all together shouts "No test"

Natalia laughed at something Zack said as he walked her to the front of the door "Thank you for tonight." she says.

"Thank you Nat, I would choose you to share fries with over any girl" Zack says grinning making her laugh "I had a great time tonight."

"Me too" she says and Zack brushes her hair and kisses her on the lips, she kisses back but immediately pulls away. "I'll see you tomorrow" she says and goes inside her house.