three

'Beckett,' you answered, groggily, 'Now?' There was a pause, 'Okay, I'm on my way,' and you got ready to leave your apartment. By the time you reached the BAU, it was about 2.30am and you met Morgan along the way.

'I'd just gotten to sleep, you?' you yawned.

'Don't think I slept at all,' he scoffed and opened the door for you. Placing your go-bag down on the table, Hotch walked into the briefing room with JJ and explained that the jet wasn't quite ready, so they could do a quick debrief here instead. Something was off, and you realised when he began talking that not once had he looked you in the eye.

He's avoiding me, from what happened the other week? Everyone left the room and you sneaked out a small orange bottle, tapping 3 pills into your palm, you swallowed them in one go. No, they weren't for going down, so you grabbed some water and then were fine. What you didn't notice was Hotch standing at the end of the corridor, watching the whole scene unfold and walking away before you noticed he was there.

               Stepping onto the jet, watching the sunrise before you got on, you sat where you usually did, expecting Hotch to sit in his normal seat opposite you; but as he got on, he walked straight past you, without saying a word. Shoving both earphones in, you turned up the music and drowned out the thoughts he was making you think.

Not even an hour later, JJ walked past and smiled at you, and bearing the best morning smile you could, returned her kindness. Subconsciously, Hotch could be heard talking about the case and finishing his briefing with, 'Does anyone have any questions?' followed by a short silence. Just as he was about to start speaking again, you ripped out your earphones and said:

'I have a question,' with no emotion towards him, 'Is this what we call reverse profiling then?' you probed, when in reality you didn't have a question and weren't even mad- ahh fuck- but deep down you just wanted him to stop avoiding you. Treating you like a ghost. Because the journey was not long, as it was only to the other side of Virginia, you sat back away, isolated from the team until landing, when finally- yet most reluctantly, he spoke to you on his own accord regarding your luggage.

'You want me to get that?' he questioned and he received a harsh, 'I've got it,' from you, and not another word.

               'We spoke on the phone, I'm Jennifer Jareau, this is Agent Hotchner and Agent Beckett. Please, tell us anything we might not already know about Henry Mayers.'

'I'm afraid we don't have much either. Mayers used to live with his mother before his mental condition became worse. Much worse,' the chief explained. Hotch glanced at you every five or so minutes as the man spoke. He's thinking about something.

'Well we know our unsub's appearance, but we need to learn his motive. JJ, you and Emily set up here, I'll take Dave and Morgan to Valley Hospital. Reid and Beck, you'll go to his mother's house. If anything, she'll know more than any of us. We don't have much time to waste,' he said with a firm grip on his files.

Reid brushed against you as he pressed for the elevator, god, he seemed so happy to be paired with you whenever he got the chance. This time was different. You were pissed at Hotch and didn't say a word; Spencer threw the keys at you and you opened the door, nearly breaking it off as you slammed it shut. He automatically put on his seatbelt and shaded his face from the sun. In this heat, the engine strained to keep up with you twisting the key every five seconds and it jarred over and over until you became more outraged by it.

'Hey, hey. I'll do it,' Reid said, and with one gentle turn, started the car. He was talking for most of the fifteen-minute journey, trying to make you feel better, as childish as that sounds.