fifteen

Digits on the clock detailed that it was 5am and so did the sky, as it was still rather dark outside. Maybe that was due to the tainted windows but inevitably, the city was still awakening. Two of the notorious SUVs sped down the empty roads on the two-hour journey to the old crime scene. Everyone was silent because factors such as exhaustion, determination and worry rained over you all.

Clouds blanketed the roads and shaded Virginia in a hue of grey, but no water cried from them as you thought it should've. Morgan was at the wheel of your car and Prentiss at the other; Reid was sat in the back looking out of the window- just as you were- and Morgan kept his eyes drawn to the road, going just over the speed limit. From the rear-view mirror, you could see Spencer tracing circles of reassurance on his fiancée's hand; she needed to know you were doing the right thing and he just wanted to make her feel alright. It had been four days since this investigation into Aaron had been opened and how four days had felt like eternity. As the wind swept its way past the cars, you knew this was the end of the line for Smiler.

'We're here,' Morgan rolled towards the old crossroads and stopped the car; the headlights flashed, and the road was pitch black. Slamming the door shut, you were all vesting up when Reid came to you.

'How are you doing?'

'I'm ready to find him,' you promised- you were confident but unsure. Searching the area with Calibres drawn, Prentiss and JJ headed south of the centre and Rossi and Morgan checked the west- but you simply stood in the middle of the juncture. Reid was beside you.

'What can you see?' he asked, knowing you were mapping back the day it happened. Streetlamps were dotted about and hanging baskets were swaying slightly underneath as you tried to retract the 11th of August. Your fingers shifted and they felt the wind course through them, just as it did all those years ago.

[ Setting, the sun was burning your eyes and you shielded them with your right hand as the trees hummed to the song of the wind. Nothing was upset with the world in that moment and you felt the breeze through your hair. Looking to your parents in the front, your mother smiled at you and turned around to check on your brother too. He was dozing whilst a small patch of spit was set on his t-shirt. Turning back to the window, it was there and then vanished, the glass scratching your face as it flew into the car; your parents were slumped forward with blood dripping like a tap from their wounds. The world had never rung like this before, but you wanted it to stop- he was alive- your brother was alive. Or you were both dead? 

Prying the handle open, the door wouldn't budge, therefore you were stuck and all you could do was admire the driver in the opposing vehicle. That horrendous smile he painted on his face like the colours of the wind. That everlasting image you had of his smile you saw once again. Laying on a bed, paramedics wheeled you slowly into the ambulance, but the coroners took your mother and father. Painfully turning your head to the right, you saw Smiler being treated with the undeserving care in another van- that wasn't your focus. Behind him, you could see a dip in the ground where a grassy plain was curved. ]

'Beck?' Spencer asked again, but you just started walking towards that grassy area. Yes, it still dipped, and you knew. You just knew.

'The sewers,' Reid noticed, 'Guys!' he shouted, beckoning for them to come over but as he turned back, you were already in the drain, scraping your way past the metal grate in the circular entrance. Spencer skipped down the slope in two steps and drew his gun from its leather holster, following you closely. Darker than outside, rats scuttled past your feet as the light shone on the stream running before you- a faint swish as footsteps from you and the others walked forwards. Meanwhile, using his last bit of savoured consciousness, Hotch picked up on the swishing water and screeched the chair back slightly, which on your end, made you face his way.