twenty eight

Nothing had prepared you for the expression on their faces.

                 Prior to that, once the case of vanishing children had been dismissed & solved, Hotch really did (what felt like the first time in forever) live out his promise. It was a rather late arrival home, and he did admit that Jack would be asleep- so the perfect time for a conversation. As he should, Aaron asked firstly about the case just solved, which he was also planning to do with the rest of the group. Still respectful of our jobs then, you thought.

'What's on your mind, Beck?' he quieted, cradling a glass of whisky- as did you.

'I've been offered a job in Norway,' you finally got it off your chest, shoulders and anywhere else it rested.

'Right,' he absorbed it, 'And it's the same sort of thing- same sort of job?' he questioned.

'Yes, it has good prospects, there's a beautiful place to live and I just- it's so perfect,' you adored the idea still after all of this time.

He moved the meeting along, targeting one thing at a time, 'What about the night terrors?' he analysed you.

'They've died down a- wait, what?' you nearly leapt from the chair, 'You remember that night?'

'That night?' he sounded confused once again, 'I looked back in your file again,' he reworded.

'Oh, right, sorry.'

'But if it makes you feel better, you can tell me about what happened,' he gestured.

'I had just come out from hospital and uh, I'd been shot. It was pretty bad and you stayed with me for the night. But I had a really bad nightmare, like, it got badly out of hand and you calmed me down; then we fell asleep together,' you reminisced; in the corner of your eye, Aaron watched your every move with intense clarity. He seemed to have that flicker again, but you were past the point of noticing.

'Salem.'

Smiling, you giggled at him, 'Yes, that's right. My cat, Salem,' you drank some of the liquor, glad he'd finally- after all this time- plucked something from that brain of his. After all this time, right before I'm about to pack up and leave, 'So what about you? How's you and Beth doing?' you smiled genuinely.

'Oh, we ended things. There's no hard feelings but she got a job offer somewhere else and the distance put a strain on us,' he spoke, only a smidge of hurt in his voice, little to none, 'But this meeting isn't about me,' Aaron said towards you. Wow, this is perfect.

'Aaron?'

'Yes, Beck?' he looked softly up.

'Can I tell you more about what happened?' you gave a slippery request. He nodded and remained silent.

'When my parents died I crashed- really hard. It was probably the worst time- trying to hold myself and my brother together, yet I managed. That gave me a mindset that I could manage through anything, however these last few months I have been pushed to my limits. You've seen that for yourself. Taking risks- I feel like I'm back at two years ago again. I am so glad, though, that we are where we are now. Thank you,' you finished, standing to hug him. I love you, Hotch, your mind replayed; it wanted to say it aloud, but you resisted. Big and bear like, his arms revolved around you, a little sway in his stance. You missed this more than life.

Just about ready to leave & gather yourself together, you parted for the door when his words tied you up again like ropes, 'Oh, Beck?'

'Yes?'

His shoulders tightened, 'What are you going to do about the job?'

'Oh, Hotch,' you furrowed, 'I've already taken it.'

                   All seven other members stood in shock, pure shock- even the ones who already knew couldn't bear to hear it again. You were leaving- that was final. For the ones who weren't aware, they parted their legs and widened their mouths, the room half full of faces decorated with the letter O, but the people who already knew looked to the floor for comfort. Seven would be an uneven number- the balance was thrown off.

'When?' JJ asked you, her question darted at the floor.

'Three days,' and once again the room was filed with heated sighs- even Aaron was thrown by the urgency of your departure.

Emily piped up, 'Where?'

'Norway. Beck's going to Norway,' interrupted Reid.

'What's lured you in, kiddo?' Rossi moved forward, crossing his arms in his grandfatherly manner.

'Just, the job, the place- I know some of the people that work there so I won't exactly be going to a bunch of strangers.'

'But why are you leaving us?' Penelope near cried. Eyes wandered toward Hotch and you sighed, this was exactly the reason.

'I need this. I really need this and the least you could do is support me,' you sniffled a little, 'You think its hard that I'm leaving- how hard do you think it is for me to walk away?' you let your hands hit your sides. Some had their hands under their noses to halt the tears, some stood showing little to nothing at all. Hotch was behind you slightly, eyeing the reactions from the team & thinking how on earth his absent mind had led to this. In all honesty, and despite the fact he would never say, he felt like shit.

'We know, we know,' Dave repeated, hushing you in a warm hug. JJ calmed the right side of you as Emily squeezed you from the left, 'We'll go out for a meal tomorrow. All of us. My treat, Beck's night,' he offered which received some cheers from the eight of you. Whittled down to Spence, Morgan, Hotch & Penelope in the briefing room, you stared at it with Garcia's hands in yours.

'I'm going to miss your briefings in here, Misses' you laughed, making her cry just a little more. God, you weren't ready to lose this gem of a technical analyst. She left and Hotch eyed you, smiling carefully. He mouthed, 'Are you okay?' and got a nod in return; using your index finger to wipe a stray tear away, Spencer simply enfolded you.

'I hope you'll be happy, wherever you are,' he muffled into your shoulder, his droopy locks falling forward.

'Look after her,' said you, leaning in gesture to JJ, 'You've got the world in your hands, Spence,' you patted his back, trying not to mope, but wanting him to feel acknowledged all the same. Arms slung around his shoulders, you kissed his cheek and let him follow Aaron into the hallway. Spencer turned to glance at you, then saw that Derek Morgan was the last one standing.

'I knew,' he angered.

'You did,' said yourself, stepping forward.

'And you're just gonna leave us like that?'

Getting closer to him, you were honest, 'It's in my best interest, Derek.'

His face dropped a little, 'How could I stay mad at my little sister?' he flashed that remarkable, pearly smile that would be engraved in your mind forever. His hug was the most sincere- no, that was a lie- they were all sincere, but Morgan's embrace made you feel as though you had finally let go.

He wrapped his arm around the back of your neck and swooped forward, erupting in fits of laughter. Meeting the rest of the group outside, it was only smiles from there on.

Tomorrow was the last chance Aaron Hotchner had to remember.